PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation is frozen

myscranton
February 28th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Hi. I have always been a Windows user but I am interested in programming and I understand Linux is better than Windows for that.

I downloaded the ISO and burned it to a CD. I booted and selected my language. I then selected Install Ubuntu. After a few minutes, an orange screen appears with a pointer and it stays that way. I left it for over an hour and nothing happens. I never even get to the installation. I have turned off the computer and tried again. I have been trying all day and am getting no where.

Could someone help me?

garvinrick4
March 1st, 2010, 01:06 AM
burn a new CD but at the slowest speed possible. Most of time bad install disks comes
because all the burning programs are set at default to real fast speeds and burning .iso
files to disk does not like that at all.

raymondh
March 1st, 2010, 01:48 AM
Hi. I have always been a Windows user but I am interested in programming and I understand Linux is better than Windows for that.

I downloaded the ISO and burned it to a CD. I booted and selected my language. I then selected Install Ubuntu. After a few minutes, an orange screen appears with a pointer and it stays that way. I left it for over an hour and nothing happens. I never even get to the installation. I have turned off the computer and tried again. I have been trying all day and am getting no where.

Could someone help me?

-Your current liveCD has an option to "check disc". Select it and see if it reports any errors. You may also check the MD5.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

-If both are OK, check compatibility with Ubuntu (i.e. min. system requirements; compatibility list; video card)

-Another option is to select the "safe graphics mode" in F4.
-You may try to download and burn the alternate CD (which is text-based and less resource-intensive)
-You may try to re-download the regular ubuntu and burn at a slower speed as mentioned by previous poster.

Raymond

RJARRRPCGP
March 1st, 2010, 03:57 AM
Use the alternate CD image. It's possible for the live CD image to not tell you anything about the CD file integrity scanning when using the CD checking option!

Since Karmic Koala, the regular CD image won't even show a progress indicator when checking the CD for corruption.