PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] installation issues on old PC

stunet
February 28th, 2010, 10:34 PM
hello,

I'm trying to restore an old system I got from a family member.

it had 64MB ram on it, but I upgraded it to 512MB, and the CPU is K6-2 500Mhz.

the actual computer is a Compaq Presario Desktop PC 7462.

I got XP to run(really slow), but I want to get linux on it since I know XP will get the boot and the family member plans to continue using the system for some time.

I first used the Ubuntu live CD, which kept getting me errorno 5 i/o errors.

I then went to Xubuntu, liveCD did same error, so i tried the alt. CD which gave me the error of corruption.

now the weird part, I re-downloaded the ISO, and before i installed it i did a CD check, which passed. During the installation period, it then started to say some files got corrupted. I re-did it the test and it began saying the files were bad.

now if i were to turn it off and check again, it'd pass.

could it be a certain device is not supported or busted?

I already replaced the CD driver and the HDD. only things i didn't try was removing any PCI cards, since they are pretty new except for the modem card that came wit the system.

if anyone has any ideas, please let me know, I really don't want to have to put XP on this system.

much thanks :)

Mark Phelps
February 28th, 2010, 11:21 PM
I don't know the basis of your particular problems, but I did try using Ubuntu and then, Xubuntu, on an older P3 800MHz laptop -- and the performance was so slow as to make it all but unusable.

So, even if you do get to install on your K6 500, don't be surprised if it's really slow.

If you're trying 9.10, you might try one of the older versions to see if they install/work better.

Barring that, you should consider a leaner distro meant to run on slower processors -- like Puppy Linux.