PDA

View Full Version : New Jimi Hendrix record drops tomorrow... who's excited?

gnomeuser
February 28th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Tomorrow perhaps the greatest musician ever to grace this earth rises from the grave and blesses us with 60 mins of previously unreleased material.

I will personally be excusing myself from the general rule of not supporting the recording industry to buy this glorious package of goodness. I have been listening to the Valleys of Neptune single and I love it to death.

There is something so timeless about Jimi's music, the album might have been recorded 40 years ago but it is sure to feel at home today just like the rest of his catalog.

Tomorrow will be a great day.

nilarimogard
February 28th, 2010, 08:51 PM
I most definitely am but since the record will probably won't reach my country any time soon, I will have to get it in some other way :P. For now...

I just can't understand the music kids listen to these days (even though I'm not old).

snowpine
February 28th, 2010, 08:54 PM
I'm excited to see it released on vinyl!

NCLI
February 28th, 2010, 08:59 PM
This MIGHT be awesome, but I'm not convinced yet. If Jimi didn't want it to be released, maybe it shouldn't be.

Bachstelze
February 28th, 2010, 09:02 PM
perhaps the greatest musician ever to grace this earth

lol

(This message was brought to you by the Mozart-Turns-In-His-Grave Committee.)

NCLI
February 28th, 2010, 09:59 PM
lol

(This message was brought to you by the Mozart-Turns-In-His-Grave Committee.)

Both were great. Jimi is the master of the modern guitar, Mozart one of the masters of the classical school of music. You can't compare them.

Perfect Storm
February 28th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Going to be interesting if there a gem or two hiding in the unreleased material.

Uncle Spellbinder
February 28th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Actually, the album, "Valleys Of Neptune," is not due until March 9th or 10th. According to Amazon, March 9th.

* 12 previously unreleased studio recordings
* Features "Valleys Of Neptune," one of the most sought after of Hendrix's commercially unavailable recordings
* Includes exciting 1969 arrangements of classic signature songs "Red House," "Fire" and "Stone Free"
* Limited edition LP to be individually numbered out of 5,000 pieces and pressed by RTI in California

See the video for the title track here: http://www.amazon.com/Valleys-Neptune-Jimi-Hendrix/dp/B00328G4V6

t0p
February 28th, 2010, 10:43 PM
* 12 previously unreleased studio recordings

means 12 studio recordings that haven't been released in the 39 years since Hendrix's death because they are seriously substandard and no one at the record company has dared think the listening public would pay for the crap. Until now.

* Features "Valleys Of Neptune," one of the most sought after of Hendrix's commercially unavailable recordings

"commercially unavailable", but most serious Hendrix fans will have plenty of bootlegs.

* Includes exciting 1969 arrangements of classic signature songs "Red House," "Fire" and "Stone Free"

More "exciting" than the many versions we've all got already? No. "Exciting" only to those who haven't heard any of the excellent recordings we've already got.

* Limited edition LP to be individually numbered out of 5,000 pieces and pressed by RTI in California

Ah, so that's what it's all about really. A limited edition for the collectors who just have to own everything that's ever been released. Those of us who aren't anally retentive will spend our cash on something else.

See the video for the title track here: http://www.amazon.com/Valleys-Neptune-Jimi-Hendrix/dp/B00328G4V6

I'll go have a look. IMHO Hendrix is the greatest guitar player ever. But I won't fall for a cheap money-grabbing swindle like this "new" album.

EDIT: Well whaddayaknow? A video that consists of lava-lamp and kaleidoscope effects and some fuzzy pics of Hendrix's hands playing the guitar. The soundtrack might be worth lifting off of it, but it does sound rather flat. I'll have to go check: but I think I have better recordings on the bootlegs I own. That vid hasn't convinced me to buy the album. What a shock! :p

RabbitWho
February 28th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Both were great. Jimi is the master of the modern guitar, Mozart one of the masters of the classical school of music. You can't compare them.

Exactly. Each in their own way. And Lady Gaga, she's neat too.

t0p
February 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM

You know what makes them impossible to compare? The lack of Mozart recordings. Mozart could write, but could he play? I guess we'll never know.

Judging by the evidence, Hendrix was a better musician than Mozart.

nmccrina
March 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
You know what makes them impossible to compare? The lack of Mozart recordings. Mozart could write, but could he play? I guess we'll never know.

Um, Mozart was touring Europe at a younger age than Hendrix was when he got his first guitar. Of course Mozart could play.

koshatnik
March 1st, 2010, 12:55 PM
Tomorrow perhaps the greatest musician ever to grace this earth rises from the grave and blesses us with 60 mins of previously unreleased material.

I think you've overdosed on hyperbole there slightly.

Will be an interesting listen, fortunately he died before he got fat and jaded and inflicted 30 years of mediocrity on us, like most other musicians from the 60's (IM LOOKING AT YOU PINK FLOYD). :)

Oh and all this mozart v hendrix comparisons - what in Gods name are you blathering about? You're comparing a 18th Century Austrian Romantic-era composer and comparing him to a late 20th Century rock musician. Why not follow up with comparing an apple to an orange and the criticise the apple for not being orange.

nmccrina
March 1st, 2010, 01:02 PM
Oh and all this mozart v hendrix comparisons - what in Gods name are you blathering about? You're comparing a 18th Century Austrian Romantic-era composer and comparing him to a late 20th Century rock musician. Why not follow up with comparing an apple to an orange and the criticise the apple for not being orange.

That's my biggest problem with apples, BTW.

samjh
March 1st, 2010, 01:49 PM

Mozart was a prodigal pianist. Perhaps even more skilled with the piano than Hendrix was with the guitar.

But the differences in both era and style makes them impossible to compare. Hendrix redefined what a musician could do with an electric guitar. Mozart created some of the greatest classical music in the history of mankind.

koshatnik
March 1st, 2010, 02:24 PM
Mozart was a prodigal pianist. Perhaps even more skilled with the piano than Hendrix was with the guitar.

I love the way people make arbitrary value statements about things they could not even comprehend knowing.

How about someone start a Bismarck V Greek trireme thread? :p

PuddingKnife
March 1st, 2010, 03:08 PM
I listened to the single. Its ok.

I think Trey Anastasio > Jimi, but thats just me ;)