PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Multimedia/DVD Player

codejunkie
March 9th, 2006, 12:50 PM
With all controversy about the CNR service and all of the negative feedback this idea has recieved, it dosen't look like it is really going to happen. This hurts the US users that legally wan't to play restricted formats like DVD and Mp3. and im sure if the big media companies have there ways, things like decss & w32codecs will soon be illegal in other country's as well. Since all the protected formats are media related, im proposing this a licensed all in one media player package that is available for purchase from Canonical, that is just an addon package that can be installed separately if the user chooses to. This way Ubuntu will always be free and people that don't want/need this aren't required to purchase it. This way the profits from the sell of this media player package, will help fund the future development of ubuntu, and this addon can fill the gap that users in countries with strict copyright laws have.

any feedback on this idea, positive or negative is appreicated.
code,

papangul
March 9th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Why not just have a paid version of automatix?

codejunkie
March 9th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Why not just have a paid version of automatix?
most of what automatix installs is free already, with the exception of a few things like dvd/mp3 playback and java. and if arnieboy would license the proprietary parts and distribute it as an addon to ubuntu that'd be great but i doubt he'd want to go through that. and if it is supported and sold by Canonical and not an individual the profits from it's sell would most likely be used for the development of ubuntu, so that might make Mark a little more keen on the idea.

Footissimo
March 9th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Sounds like a great idea - though I wonder how much outlay there would have to be from Canonical's end to do this, especially as the take-up will probably be quite small.

Bandit
March 9th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I think this is a great idea. All in one multimedia add on CD.

Cheers,
Joey