PDA

View Full Version : Conversion tool

MooPi
February 28th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I'm currently working with USB thumb drives and loading Ubuntu on them to promote Linux.I'm using a 4gig drive and the minimal install CD to create this drive. I've got the install down to about an hour(due to slow write speed for flash drive). The host machine would need to be able to boot USB drive and nothing will be changed on the native OS, primarily Windows products. I find this method an improvement over the live CD for speed and versatility. With the thumb drive I still have use of the ROM drive to access music and DVD movies as well as the ability to write. Any multimedia content on the computers original hard drive is still accessible which should be a selling point. This is a persistant install unlike the live CD usage. Everything is much more responsive, similar to a native install to conventional HD. The hour or so install means this will be done for close friends and family that will let me sit at their computer for that amount of time. The install is suited to each computer making for fewer compatibility issues.

I was wondering if anyone has used this method or has any ideas to help me with this project. I'm excited about it and plan to actively endorse it with possible converts.

Cheers fellow Linux pushers!