PDA

View Full Version : New Computer - Usage Suggestions?

ryantriplett
February 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I just received an emachines W3653a desktop computer with the following specs:

320GB HD
1.6GHz Dual Core Celeron
1GB RAM
5.1 Channel Audio
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 Integrated Graphics (VGA)
15-in-1 Media Card Reader

I've just installed Ubuntu 10.4 Alpha 4.
This is a second computer. Please give some suggestions as to what I could use it for.

Firestem4
February 28th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Is your first computer a desktop at all? I';d say make that your impromptu backup server ;)

ryantriplett
February 28th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Is your first computer a desktop at all? I';d say make that your impromptu backup server ;)

Yes my first computer is a desktop with about 1.3TB of backup space so I'm good on the backup side of things.

Firestem4
February 28th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Well you'll eventually find many uses for it. I tend to use my laptops for small tasks when im around the house. I also program on that computer even though its less powerful than my desktop. (The keyboard is easier/more comfortable to type on than my large clunky gaming keyboards). I send any major compiling jobs to my desktop and run it when i need horsepower.

cascade9
February 28th, 2010, 04:32 PM
You've already found a nice use for it- alpha testing. I'd consider using it for distro testing as well, that is 1 reason why I have a 2nd machine. Well, its a bit more than a '2nd' machine, I've got a few....I really must get rid of some of them.

BTW, backing up to a different machine is a lot safer than having 2 copies of your files on a single machine (yes, even if you have 1 copy on hda/sda and 1 copy on hdb/sdb). One nasty power surge, lighting strike, etc and your data could be gone.

ryantriplett
February 28th, 2010, 04:35 PM
You've already found a nice use for it- alpha testing. I'd consider using it for distro testing as well, that is 1 reason why I have a 2nd machine. Well, its a bit more than a '2nd' machine, I've got a few....I really must get rid of some of them.

BTW, backing up to a different machine is a lot safer than having 2 copies of your files on a single machine (yes, even if you have 1 copy on hda/sda and 1 copy on hdb/sdb). One nasty power surge, lighting strike, etc and your data could be gone.

VERY true ... thank you for the advice!