PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 rollback 9.10

Dans564
February 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM
hey i upgraded to 10.04 on macbook and one big issue is that it turns off when i close the laptop. Any one now how to rollback the entire install back to 9.10.

ps. if u know a fix to the restart on lid close that would be awesome instead

mkvnmtr
February 28th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Yo9u need to reinstall the release you wish to use. 10.04 is a development release meant for people that wish to help with development and find bugs and fix them.

Dans564
February 28th, 2010, 11:34 PM
yea i figured. I just reinstalled 9.10
thanks for theresponse

emilram
May 19th, 2010, 08:58 PM
yea i figured. I just reinstalled 9.10
thanks for theresponse
hi,do you mind tell me so I can do the same?

mick222
May 19th, 2010, 09:03 PM
10.04 is now the official release .Why do you want to install an older version ?
This thread was started when lucid was in development.

emilram
May 19th, 2010, 09:07 PM
10.04 is now the official release .Why do you want to install an older version ?
This thread was started when lucid was in development.

thanx for reply .
9.10 was faster for me.

mick222
May 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM
I dont think you can download it the only way i can think of is by installing mint as it is based on 9.10. It is the same base with codecs flash and some menu changes etc.

Darkness Des
May 19th, 2010, 09:15 PM
You can easily download it, actually. The Ubuntu team keeps ISOs and Torrents to said ISOs around for all versions. Below is where the Karmic ISOs and Torrents are kept.

http://torrent.ubuntu.com/simple/karmic/desktop/

arpanaut
May 19th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I dont think you can download it the only way i can think of is by installing mint as it is based on 9.10. It is the same base with codecs flash and some menu changes etc.

Not True: http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/

Backup you important data, install the release you wish, re-install your programs, etc.

Have Fun

mick222
May 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM
sry never tried to install an older version .I usually keep an iso

wkulecz
May 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Not True: http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/

Backup you important data, install the release you wish, re-install your programs, etc.

Much easier is to backup (clone) your entire system before any upgrade or major change!

External USB hard drives are cheap. You can use:

rsync -ax / /media/USBdrive to "clone" your drive. Keep a live CD handy and learn how to fix UUID and Grub, Grub2 issues and you can be back to where you were in short order if something goes wrong.

Doing this with Windows is major pain caused by malicous coding and registry settings that make changing motherboards near impossible and then throw "Activation" into the mix and well I still do my windows work on Windows 2000 (except for video editing where Win7 rocks).

--wally.

LinFreeman
May 20th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 as soon as the official release was available. I find 10.04 to be extremely unstable with respect to the taskbars on the desktop. I moved the upper taskbar to the bottom and the lower one to the top. That works, except that at random intervals, one or both taskbars cease to display anything; they simply display light grey strips where icons, labels or dates and times should appear. This is particularly frequent with my upper taskbar. Rebooting fixes things, but only temporarily. Has anybody got any ideas? I am certainly tempted to rollback!

ceaser_one
July 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I became adventurous and decided to upgrade my 9.10 install to 10.04 as it is official and the upgrade manager kept showing me that it was available. So i decided to upgrade using the upgrade manager software.

Boy that was a mistake.

After it did the install and came up, the following problems started to appear.
The top bars of the applications just disappear on the whim.
Can't move applications around the screen as there is no top bar.
The X at the top right corner of the window does not show up, so can't close the app down.

Had to reboot couple of time before it seemed to settle.

Now I find out that my VM server 2.02 does not want to run at all. No support for it. Can't find any documents around to help out either.

I guess I am re-installing 9.10 from scratch and starting over.

I don't trust MS when they come out with new releases (usually wait till SP1 or SP2 before installing them), seems like I have to do the same thing with Ubuntu.

Ceaser