PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install windows 7 next to or over ubuntu

inochi
February 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I have a laptop which i bought off a friend and it has ubuntu karmic on it and i have no clue how to use any linux based OS's, i want to put windows 7 on it, preferably replacing ubuntu. Can anyone help me with step by step instructions and using no nerd slang as i have no idea what it means lol...no offence.

If anyone can help please, greatly appreciated.

elliotn
February 28th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Just format the drive with the win7 cd.

elliotn
February 28th, 2010, 12:20 PM
I have a laptop which i bought off a friend and it has ubuntu karmic on it and i have no clue how to use any linux based OS's, i want to put windows 7 on it, preferably replacing ubuntu. Can anyone help me with step by step instructions and using no nerd slang as i have no idea what it means lol...no offence.

If anyone can help please, greatly appreciated.

Step 1. Inset the win 7 dvd
Step 2.set the lappy to boot on cd/dvd.
Step 3. Use the format option on Win 7 and let it install

You done

spectralblue
February 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Step 1. Inset the win 7 dvd
Step 2.set the lappy to boot on cd/dvd.
Step 3. Use the format option on Win 7 and let it install

You done

Most laptops today are set to boot on the CD or DVD if available (that is in your case they'll start the Win 7 DVD automatically). However, sometimes this is not the case, as it could easily be changed by the user, or disabled by the manufacturer by default.

If it does not start the DVD automatically, you'll have to go into your BIOS to change that. Google "Changing Boot Order in BIOS" or go to your Laptops Support page and look around for something that shows how to access the BIOS. It differs per system, sometimes it's pressing F12, sometimes F2, other times DEL, other times F8 or F9. You usually press One button repeatedly as soon as the power turns on to access the BIOS. Try what I've said above and look for something that says Boot Order, and make sure that the DVD drive is the first one (if you're using a DVD).

When you get to the Win 7 installation, make sure you click "Custom" and delete the Ubuntu Partition by clicking on Drive Options and clicking the Erase one and make yourself a windows partition by clicking on "New".

A guide is available here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=8894285