PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I can't stand nautilus anymore!

hakermania
February 28th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Nautilus begun showing problems while I had Transmission open and I was seeding:It started not to respond and again and again.Now it becomes worse.When I start my pc, I want to do a folder named "shared" and located on my desktop shared.But when I am going to its properties and push the "Create Share" button nautilus is not responding. I have decided to install an other file browser.What I want is to give me detailed instructions on how to install an other file browser like dolphin, because the last time I did something like this (I mean to unistall nautilus and install dolphin) after a reboot the pc could't boot and I continued with a format.
So, please be 150% sure on what you will answer right now!
Ah, and special thxs for any answers!

hakermania
February 28th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Guys I really can't stand it!
Plz help me!
I don't know what else to do!
I am thinking of returning back to windows but I've really loved ubuntu and I don't really want to return back for such a useless, for somebodies, problem!!!
PLZ HELP!!!

chewearn
February 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM
I can't help you much on the nautilus problem. But on file sharing (using samba), I suggest use the package called system-config-samba (apt://system-config-samba). I find it works better that the one built-in nautilus (though not as straight forward).

After installation, you find the app in:
System > Administration > Samba

hakermania
February 28th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Yeah, ok but Nautilus does generally "stacks".
I want an other file browser and quickly!!

hakermania
February 28th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Help guys!!!!
HELP HELP HELP!!!!

chewearn
February 28th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Well, I am partial to dual pane file manager, and use Krusader as the main file manager instead of Nautilus. It's a KDE app though, so it doesn't integrate fully into Gnome (in terms of look and feel).

theozzlives
February 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Ummmm... do you get an error when you try to create a share? Also, it's recommended that you wait 24 hrs before bumping a thread.

Alexandre Putt
February 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM
You can simply install Dolphin (or any other file manager) using Synaptic. It will bring with itself a number of dependencies. There should be no problem with this.

I don't know how to make it default for viewing folders, though, but it should be possible.

Uninstalling Nautilus was a bad idea.

hakermania
February 28th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Sorry about this but it is very hard for me!
No, it doesn't come up with an error.It just becomes grey - means not responding when I push the "Create Share" button!
And as I said before it is not the only issue with Nautilus.That's why i do need another file browser!

theozzlives
February 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM
WAIT! I missed that one. You don't uninstall Nautilus. That can bork up your whole GNOME desktop. Why don't you try KDE:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
it may be more what you're looking for.

mikewhatever
February 28th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Well, of cause Nautilus acts up, I mean, you can't stand it, and it's very sensitive. Like it a little and see what happens.:)

genjix
February 28th, 2010, 05:49 PM
use KDE. it's a better desktop

hakermania
February 28th, 2010, 07:36 PM
WAIT! I missed that one. You don't uninstall Nautilus. That can bork up your whole GNOME desktop. Why don't you try KDE:

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
it may be more what you're looking for.
Yaeh ok, I installed this but how will I get rid of nautilus without crashing my whole desktop?(Something that hapened a couple of months ago....:( )

hakermania
February 28th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Well, I installed what genjix said BUT, a big BUT I want these:
1:Unistall Nautilus without my system to be crashed
2:Tell me how to change the "Open with" option in dolphin!
3:How to do dolpphin default
4:Thx!

VCoolio
February 28th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Uninstalling nautilus is not a good idea, because it also draws your desktop and also you may get issues when you upgrade to the next ubuntu release. Just use another file browser like dolphin or the latest thunar.

To make it the default file browser may be a bit difficult. An easy trick is to point the nautilus launcher to your file browser instead. In the following files use "sudo nano <file>" or "gksudo gedit <file>" to change the "exec=" part to whatever file browser you want:
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-home.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-folder-handler.desktop
/usr/share/applications/nautilus-browser.desktop

hakermania
March 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Hm.I let you know if my dolphin did really become my default because I have noy very time right now!