PDA

View Full Version : Hey has anyone ever read this magzine

aviedw
February 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
I was in my local Micro Center and i happen to run across a great linux read. Its called http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/

I hope this isn't against the rules but i just wanted to show this off and see if anybody here ever read it.

And if you don't read this maybe you can post magazines or other publications that you do read to stay current about all things LINUX

3rdalbum
February 28th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Linux Format is the only Linux magazine I will read. All other Linux magazines are dry and boring. I always look forward to the latest Linux Format arriving at my newsstand (I get the "airmail" edition - it's $5 more expensive, but two months more recent). LXF caters more to the home user than to the sysadmin, but even most of the sysadmin stuff is presented in such an easy-to-understand manner that I like reading it.

Some of the writers of Linux Format also have a podcast called TuxRadar, which is really good too.

aviedw
February 28th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Thats cool. When i first saw the price tag i was like wow 16 bucks for a magazine but as i read through it i was like wow this is very interesting. They just touch on so many topics. Im about to subscribe to it and i just wanted to make sure i wasn't going crazy lol. Thanks for confirming my sanity. :D

markyb73
February 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I have subscribed to Linux Format for a few years now. Good read as others have said, recieved the latest edition yesterday :) They also do the Tuxradar podcast.

PeteUplink
February 28th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Cool! I've been looking for a good Linux magazine, and I've always liked the "Format" magazines (Commodore Format, Amiga Format, PC Format). I'll definitely be grabbing a copy of this one. :)

markyb73
February 28th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I remember reading Amiga Format....that must have been a while ago!

PeteUplink
February 28th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I first got my Amiga in 1993, so it was a while back.

I can't seem to get Linux Format from my local newsagent. Looks like I'll have to get take a trip into the city and get it.

aviedw
February 28th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Amiga format ? I'm not sure what that is. Does that mag focus on a specific distro. What also makes it so great is that u can get old issues on pdf.
I tried to read linux journal and it seems kinda borning to me. My girl friend accidently paid for a subscription of that thinking it was the same as
linix format. So after I stopped crying I figued hey ill just get it for myself.

mechro
February 28th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I have two computery stuff reads. One is Linux Format, the cover discs are great and when they do Ubuntu it's usually a remastered version with extra stuff on it.

My other read is the weekly Micro Mart...

http://www.micromart.co.uk/

Post Monkeh
February 28th, 2010, 11:54 PM
linux format is great. i'm not much of a reader, but there's normally enough in there to keep me occupied until the next copy drops on the doormat

motorcity909
February 28th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Ah yes, Micro Mart. I like that one too. Been interesting of late after they printed a few letters saying there were too many Linux articles and it should concentrate on Windows.

They opened it up to the readership and have started to print a selection of letters both for and against Linux.

I sent my own missive (below) in support of Linux coverage, not printed yet! ;)

As a Ubuntu user I could be accused of bias but I also use Windows at home and work so I hope I can be objective.

I personally think you've got the balance right between Linux and Windows coverage. Without wishing to insult the readership of other computer mags, I believe the readership of Micro Mart is perhaps more technical and more experimental and willing to read about and try new, different things. General computer users aren't going to be interested in such things as modding or overclocking but I think your readership is.

Similarly I think those readers will be interested in alternative solutions, such as using a free Linux distro to use on a home server or to revitalise an old PC.

As for the accusation that you've been covering Linux too much of late, why not analyse the pages-to-OS ratio over the past few months?

A quick analysis of issue 1093 showed this -

124 pages inc. front & back covers and adverts
2 pages of contents
8 pages on overclocking (could apply to Linux or Windows)
6 pages on hyped products (included a picture of Microsoft's Steve Balmer)
10 pages on building a cockpit
6 pages on the Gamecube
16 pages of hardware reviews (could apply to Linux or Windows)
4 pages on printing sharing (could apply to Linux or Windows but the article was totally about printer sharing on Windows)
4 pages on technobabble (could apply to Linux or Windows)
8 pages of news with 3 mentions of Windows, none of Linux
2 pages of letters (yep, mostly Linux)
6 pages on Linux basics
2 pages on Windows Live Writer
4 pages - 1 each on Linux, Amiga, Systems and Retro
2 pages on games (pretty much Windows)
6 pages of readers queries inc. 2 on Windows and 1 on Linux
1 page of Logging Off comment piece

I don't detect too much bias there! (I didn't analyse the adverts as to whether they mentioned Windows or Linux)

As for the idea that "if I wanted more Linux, then I have the option of going and buying dedicated Linux magazines instead" - true, but change the word Linux for Windows in that sentence and the same would apply.

Like any subject, there are general magazines and more specific ones. If I want to read about all kinds of music from Madonna to Metallica, I can buy Q. If I want to read more on Metallica and co, I can buy Kerrang.

Another letter said "Micro Mart is not a Linux magazine" but by the same token Micro Mart isn't called Microsoft Mart or Windows Mart; it is a wide-ranging computer magazine.

I've got no intention of building a flight-sim cockpit but I'll still read the article. I hope you continue to write about all aspects of computing from the basics to the heavily technical.

PeteUplink
March 1st, 2010, 12:13 AM
Amiga format ? I'm not sure what that is. Does that mag focus on a specific distro. What also makes it so great is that u can get old issues on pdf.
I tried to read linux journal and it seems kinda borning to me. My girl friend accidently paid for a subscription of that thinking it was the same as
linix format. So after I stopped crying I figued hey ill just get it for myself.

Amiga's were 16bit (and later 32bit) computers from the mid 80's to mid 90's at the time they were more popular than PC's, but Commodore, the company that owned them, went bankrupt and the name Amiga has been passed from company to company with no real progress being made. There's still a large fan following that keep the brand alive by modding older machines (it's not unusual to see A1200 tower systems these days, and you can still buy new machines to order from some sources), and a company called Amiga Inc. who are supposed to be working on some new stuff, but nothings forthcoming as yet. There's also a community of developers making new apps, games, etc. Kinda like Linux on a smaller scale with a mixture of open source, freeware and payware. There's also an Amiga emulator called UAE for Linux and WinUAE for Windows.

Amiga Format was one of the magazines available at the time. Linux Format looks to be made by the same people, and if my experience of Amiga Format is anything to go by, it should be a good magazine.

Btw, sorry if that was wandering a bit off topic.

WorldTripping
March 1st, 2010, 12:41 AM
Actually after reading this thread I just subscribed for the next quarter.

Lot cheaper than buying it at the shop !

aviedw
March 1st, 2010, 02:22 AM
Actually after reading this thread I just subscribed for the next quarter.

Lot cheaper than buying it at the shop !

Yea when my next check comes, i will be doing the same thing. I just wonder, how much of a lag will i experience since im in the USA. I will have to restrain myself from going into my fav computer store "micro center" and reading it before it actually comes to my house lol.

I dont know if its just me, but it seems that more people from other parts of the world besides the USA are more in-tuned with the Linux. Sorry if im making a broad assumption. What do you guys think?

witeshark17
March 1st, 2010, 04:06 AM
Looks like a cool mag. I'll be looking for it.

WorldTripping
March 1st, 2010, 05:58 AM
Yea when my next check comes, i will be doing the same thing. I just wonder, how much of a lag will i experience since im in the USA. I will have to restrain myself from going into my fav computer store "micro center" and reading it before it actually comes to my house lol.

I dont know if its just me, but it seems that more people from other parts of the world besides the USA are more in-tuned with the Linux. Sorry if im making a broad assumption. What do you guys think?

Have a look at this:

http://www.listphile.com/Linux

It's not just the English speaking world that has adopted Linux, remember that Ubuntu accommodates a multiples of languages.

Bear in mind also that that map is entirely elective and only represents bodies that have been bothered to register their OS usage.

WorldTripping

WorldTripping
March 1st, 2010, 06:02 AM
Oh, and I'd love to see a similar style of map where individuals could plot themselves onto it.

It would be cool for me to look at my home town and know that there were x number of Linux users around me.

aviedw
March 1st, 2010, 06:09 AM
I was aware that other parts of the world were involved with Linux, i just wasn't aware to what extent.

That is a very interesting website, didn't know such a thing existed. There must be a lot of school in parts of the world that do not have the money to buy windows or mac os x and rely on Linux to provide people with a quality computer experience.

WorldTripping
March 1st, 2010, 06:19 AM
Recently I think the best high profile case was the Parisian Police Force:

http://www.osor.eu/news/fr-police-migrates-70.000-desktops-to-gnu-linux

But there are other examples from around the world..

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6049

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2002/09/bringing_linux_to_third_world.html

WorldTripping

aviedw
March 9th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I found this, thought i'd add it to the thread. Now North Korea is on board. I wonder how their linux will differ from others.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/190776/report_north_korea_develops_own_linux_distribution .html