PDA

View Full Version : I feel like a failure.

themarker0
February 28th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Just rebooted my Unix server, before i did an uptime, only 30 days. It makes me sad lately. At work we have Ubuntu and OpenBSD servers with over 800 days, yet my 8 year old server seems to be dying.

So anyone elses servers starting to die?

blueshiftoverwatch
February 28th, 2010, 05:07 AM
That reminds me of: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/devotion_to_duty.png

WorldTripping
February 28th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Yeah, I recently got a SheevaPlug as a server connected to my router.

I used to sit in coffee shops / pubs and watch films streamed from my 2TB drive conneced to it via sshfs.

I had an uptime of about 100 days before I had to reboot it after kernal module additions.

Gutted and going for a year or so !

BenAshton24
February 28th, 2010, 06:12 AM
Just rebooted my Unix server, before i did an uptime, only 30 days. It makes me sad lately. At work we have Ubuntu and OpenBSD servers with over 800 days, yet my 8 year old server seems to be dying.

So anyone elses servers starting to die?

Your poor server :(

I hope it get's better, but if not then at least you can take comfort in the fact that there's a special place at 127.0.0.1 for it.

themarker0
February 28th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Your poor server :(

I hope it get's better, but if not then at least you can take comfort in the fact that there's a special place at 127.0.0.1 for it.

I doubt it. Its too old. When it goes its done. It used to protect a ISP, back when dial up was the new "thing". So its dying. It wouldn't even hold a newer ubuntu server...