PDA

View Full Version : Linux is very polite... when dying.

neu5eeCh
February 28th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Just tried to upgrade 9.10 to 10.4 on my non-mission critical computer. When the upgrade got to the NVidia driver, things went SOUTH like a dog on speed. Crash. Burn. Population displacement. Goths invade. Barf. Barf. Barf. By the end of the upgrade session, however, Ubuntu was polite enough to inform me that my system was most probably unusable, completely trashed, and unrecoverable.... and would I like to reboot now?

*That*, gentlemen, is class.. No blue screen of death for Ubuntu. No, sir.

Am now reinstalling 9.10 and will leave it that way, by gad, until 12.4.

hansdown
February 28th, 2010, 03:26 AM
It should be usable, as soon as testing is complete.

neu5eeCh
February 28th, 2010, 03:29 AM
It should be usable, as soon as testing is complete.

Bug report filed.

I shall relay your expressions of concern to my laptop.

TheNessus
February 28th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Just tried to upgrade 9.10 to 10.4 on my non-mission critical computer. When the upgrade got to the NVidia driver, things went SOUTH like a dog on speed. Crash. Burn. Population displacement. Goths invade. Barf. Barf. Barf. By the end of the upgrade session, however, Ubuntu was polite enough to inform me that my system was most probably unusable, completely trashed, and unrecoverable.... and would I like to reboot now?

*That*, gentlemen, is class.. No blue screen of death for Ubuntu. No, sir.

Am now reinstalling 9.10 and will leave it that way, by gad, until 12.4.

Yeah, tell that to my KDE4.3 that sometimes freezes on me without even telling me why, forcing me to press the power button. But that's KDE, and I still love it.

hansdown
February 28th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Bug report filed.

I shall relay your expressions of concern to my laptop.

Any info on the hardware of said laptop?

blueshiftoverwatch
February 28th, 2010, 03:37 AM
MySQL console is very polite as well. When you type in the exit console command it will say "bye" before closing.

dragos240
February 28th, 2010, 03:41 AM
MySQL console is very polite as well. When you type in the exit console command it will say "bye" before closing.

Yes it is.

neu5eeCh
February 28th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Yeah, tell that to my KDE4.3 that sometimes freezes on me without even telling me why, forcing me to press the power button. But that's KDE, and I still love it.

Yes. Something like:

"I'm sorry, Dave, but our session has ended. Good-bye, Dave."

...would be preferable.

TheNessus
February 28th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Yes. Something like:

"I'm sorry, Dave, but our session has ended. Good-bye, Dave."

...would be preferable.

But that would mean that Hal is killing its human operator. Not a very nice act in and of itself, but it is a nice ending, I agree :)

neu5eeCh
February 28th, 2010, 03:52 AM

Yes, I might have seen that text-mode "bye" flash on the screen just before it shut down - a last, final.... bye.

Toodelu!

neu5eeCh
February 28th, 2010, 03:57 AM
But that would mean that Hal is killing its human operator. Not a very nice act in and of itself, but it is a nice ending, I agree :)

Good lord, man, I never thought of that. HAL must have been a Linux based system.... only Linux would be capable of such politeness. FreeBSD? OSOL? I think Linux.