PDA

View Full Version : Need some recommendations on netbooks

L815
February 28th, 2010, 02:02 AM
It's my first time buying a netbook and am looking for just the right one. If you guys could help me out, that would be great!

Preferred retailers: Newegg, Amazon
Budget: up to $350
Heat: Low heat, keeps cool
Graphics: Good enough to have tear free flash/video/HD
CPU: Fast enough to handle the above + maybe some minimal programming
Memory: 1GB min, but expandable to more
And lastly, it should work well with Linux and Win7

Thanks!

kmsalex
February 28th, 2010, 07:21 AM
dell has one that ships with 8.04 (why not 9.10 like the other 3 they offer ubuntu on idk but you can always put mobiln on a usb)
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwfa2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
first i would recommend giving it a 16 gb ssd, then a 6 cell battery, and you get a net book for 314 that should be enough for the average user.

Mike'sHardLinux
February 28th, 2010, 07:39 AM
It's my first time buying a netbook and am looking for just the right one. If you guys could help me out, that would be great!

Preferred retailers: Newegg, Amazon
Budget: up to $350
Heat: Low heat, keeps cool
Graphics: Good enough to have tear free flash/video/HD
CPU: Fast enough to handle the above + maybe some minimal programming
Memory: 1GB min, but expandable to more
And lastly, it should work well with Linux and Win7

Thanks!

Your video requirements are the real kicker here. I doubt that Dell will be able to handle flash without tearing, and DEFINITELY not HD.

I don't know if you'll be able to find a new netbook for under $350 that can handle video as well as you'd like, but check out the ones with nVidia Ion video chip. You may also want to look at the HP mini 110 along with that Broadcom Crystal HD upgrade to do hardware video processing, though this is probably out of your price range.

RichardLinx
February 28th, 2010, 08:56 AM
The HP Mini 311 is your best option. It's one of the only Netbooks with the Nvidia Ion. So you can watch Youtube videos in HD. (Atom only Netbooks can't do that.. Unless you like a max of 15FPS)

I think tey're in the $350 - $400 price range now. Acer also recently announced a new netbook with the Nvidia Ion 2 GPU. This is going to be a good year for Netbooks. I'll probably get one this year too.

Paqman
February 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Whatever you do, don't get a netbook with a traditional hard drive. Slow processor + low RAM + 5400RPM drive = misery. An SSD is the way to go, it's why the eeePCs are so popular. I have an eeePC 901, and Ubuntu Netbook Remix flies on it. You can get refurbed ones off eBay for about £130.

I don't know how well netbooks would run Win7, but i'd be pretty sceptical. You'd be better off with XP if you need Windows.

Richard1979
February 28th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I'd recommend the Dell Mini 10V
Get the one with the 8GB SSD, format it and put Ubuntu 9.10 (or 10.04 if you wait until April).

You don't need hard disk space, the smart people use USB keys to watch movies etc. :)
And Samba/NFS of course...