PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] network printer admin

TheBuda
February 28th, 2010, 01:57 AM
All,

I've installed my system package by package and everything is running great. The only think I'm missing that I need is printer administration. What package do I install? I see several printer configs when I search aptitude, but not sure what I need.

Running 9.10 on a Dell Mini with Gnome.

sgosnell
February 28th, 2010, 02:26 AM
It should already be installed. Open System/Administration/Printing, and you should be able to click on the New button and install a new printer. Choose a network printer, and the wizard should find your network printer(s) and install the driver. If it's an all-in-one, you may have to install more drivers, depending on the make/model, to get scanning working. Printing should work immediately.

TheBuda
February 28th, 2010, 02:46 AM
its not there, I only have three items under system -> Administration: Log File Viewer, Login Screen, & System Monitor.

Like I said I didn't use a live CD or anything, I used the Minimal CD. so I've only installed gnome-core, gdm, network-manager, power-manager, and a few apps.

sgosnell
February 28th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Well, you're going about it the hard way, and you'll need to do a lot of reading. The minimal install assumes you know what you're doing.

TheBuda
February 28th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I installed system-config-printer-gnome and that gave me the printer option in administration, but its not seeing my network printer. Do I need to install Samba or something like that?

TheBuda
February 28th, 2010, 02:55 AM
And the reason Im doing minimal install (very successfully thus far) is that my netbook has a 4Gb HD. I've got open office, chromium, xpdf, and pidgin all install and running great for under 2Gb at this point. With the standard 9.04 install I was at 3.6Gb.

TheBuda
February 28th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Got it working! I was missing cups. thought that was installed by default previously. ah well live and learn.

---- Solved ----

sgosnell
February 28th, 2010, 04:48 AM
The way to get more room on your netbook is to use an SDHC for /home. In fact, you can install the entire OS on one. I have Lucid installed on a 16GB SDHC, and it runs very well from there. Those cards are becoming increasingly cheap, and are a good solution for lots of storage problems.