PDA

View Full Version : Learning Programming via Audio

HunterAnderson
February 28th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Alright so I had this thought. I want to learn programming however I don't always have access to a computer and Internet. So the thought occurred what if you could download a podcast or some form of audio book to help you learn a computer language. It could be somewhat difficult but you could put it on your ipod and use it as a supplement or something of the such. What do you guess think? There may already be something like this but would you use it? What do you think of it? If one were to make one should it be stand alone or used along with other content? Just wondering what input you guys may have.

Shpongle
February 28th, 2010, 01:38 AM
well i know you mean well but its something you just have to do! , you could however explain theory and concepts.

Lux Perpetua
February 28th, 2010, 02:04 AM
It's impossible to learn programming without code, so no, I don't think your idea has any merit.

That said, you don't necessarily need access to a computer all the time, depending on your learning style. Books in print are an excellent resource, and in the past I've taught myself programming from books away from any computer. You can even practice writing code with a pen, but you will have to run it on a computer sooner or later to see whether it works.

The last paragraph applies doubly to algorithms & data structures, for which you arguably don't need a computer at all (but you should be somewhat familiar with programming).

HunterAnderson
February 28th, 2010, 02:04 AM
Yea. I know there's no way around breaking out the computer and just doing it but like for example if someone was trying to learn javascript. They could use it to explain things like how its used, what its used for. It could explain simpler things like variables and just well..like you said concepts and theories. Trying to explain syntax would be pretty difficult to do and be understandable. That is unless it was written as a supplement to some other content. I just wasnt sure what other people thought about it.

GregBrannon
February 28th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Everybody learns differently, but programming is a highly symbolic activity, and I can't imagine grasping the significance, grammar, and acceptable style of a programming language's symbols by hearing them described rather than seeing them properly displayed. Maybe my lack of imagination is due to the boundaries of my highly visual learning style.

WinterMadness
February 28th, 2010, 02:34 AM
the concepts that deal with programming tend to be best with trial and error

HunterAnderson
February 28th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Thanks. So I guess trying to teach it with audio alone wouldn't be that great of an idea. Not unless you have some form of visual. If you had to have a visual though it would somewhat strike out the mp3 player idea. I guess people do learn different ways though and if you had site that went along with a recording it would provide a different way for people to learn it. No it would not by any means remove the process of trial and error but for people who aren't as good at just reading something and learning it it would provide an alternative. I guess that's kinda where video tutorials came about.