PDA

View Full Version : Did Ubuntu destroy your macbook?

august
February 28th, 2010, 12:14 AM
According to an apple repairman, running Linux on Macbooks will fry the CPU. This is because the OS controls the VCore of the CPU, and only OS X and Windows with boot camp drivers will set the proper VCore value. Nobody has been able to make Linux set the correct values yet. This causes the CPU to run with a too high VCore, and eventually suffer from overclockers cancer - electromigration.

Read more about what he says in this thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=92124

He seems to know what he's talking about. He's the only person I've ever hear say this, though.

So, did any of you ever get your mac ruined by running Linux on it?

macogw
February 28th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Modern Macs have exactly the same CPUs as Dells, HPs, Lenovos, etc. so interesting that only an Apple person makes such a claim.

And by exactly the same, I mean they all just go "hey Intel, we need some more Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quads. Could ya send some more over? Thanks!"

skymera
February 28th, 2010, 02:03 AM
Well my Intel hasn't exploded yet.

This thread made me lol a bit ^^

NoaHall
February 28th, 2010, 02:14 AM
I think you should take what he says with a pinch of salt. It works perfectly fine. It's exactly the same hardware as other computers. It's just more shiny.

chris200x9
February 28th, 2010, 02:19 AM
I ran archlinux on it as the sole OS for over a year my I spilled water on it, it does not work. Damn linux...

WinterMadness
February 28th, 2010, 02:44 AM
theoretically.

I was mad at my windows box for getting a virus when I scanned the file in question (came up clean)

I was like screw this im getting a mac, then someone reminded me about linux and I had never tried it at this point (because back during the 56k days it was very impractical to download a distro)

I still bought a new laptop though... lol. I just put ubuntu on it

zekopeko
February 28th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Modern Macs have exactly the same CPUs as Dells, HPs, Lenovos, etc. so interesting that only an Apple person makes such a claim.

And by exactly the same, I mean they all just go "hey Intel, we need some more Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quads. Could ya send some more over? Thanks!"

That isn't true exactly. Intel does some customizations on the CPUs for Apple. Apple also adds stuff on the motherboards that aren't standard. The fact is that before (maybe even now) a lot of people complained how their Mac(book) is running hotter with Ubuntu then with OSX.

standingwave
February 28th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Uncertainty!

Doubt!

3rdalbum
February 28th, 2010, 08:09 AM
That isn't true exactly. Intel does some customizations on the CPUs for Apple.

Do a search for "CPU swap macintosh" on Google and you'll find plenty of articles about people getting off-the-shelf Core Duo CPUs and putting them in the old Core Solo Minis. There's also an article about putting an off-the-shelf quad-core Xeon into a Mac Pro that came with dual-core Xeons.

You can't swap CPUs anymore because Apple solders them in, not because of any differences in the CPUs.

The Mac OS does not control CPU voltage, then it would be possible for the software to destroy the hardware. Linux doesn't control CPU voltage at all either, so if the Macintosh hardware/firmware didn't control the CPU voltage then you'd never get the machine to boot.

blueturtl
February 28th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I'd like to point out that the CPU does not decide it's own VCORE, the motherboard is in charge of this. In IBM clone PCs things such as CPU and memory voltages, timings and other settings are either set using jumpers or thru the BIOS.

Macs on the other hand do not have BIOS, because they did not need to remain compatible with IBM. Apple moved from using BIOS to using EFI. I'm not perfectly certain in how many ways EFI differs from using a BIOS, but from what I understand it leaves more things up to the operating system (you can set which media your Mac will boot from next time thru OS X for example).

What this guy claims is not impossible, but it could just as well be a scare.

august
February 28th, 2010, 10:32 AM
There are lots of claims left and right here. Some say that the OS does not control the VCore, while some say this is likely. I didn't ask about your speculations - they are about as worthless as that apple repairmans speculations =P

So nobody here has ever had their CPU fried on a MacBook running Linux?

RabbitWho
February 28th, 2010, 11:58 AM
That's a good point, everyone should post their relevant degrees, qualifications and experience.

CharlesA
February 28th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Don't forget their shoe size and favorite fruit..

RabbitWho
February 28th, 2010, 12:39 PM
That goes without saying.

rottentree
February 28th, 2010, 01:10 PM
That isn't true exactly. Intel does some customizations on the CPUs for Apple. Apple also adds stuff on the motherboards that aren't standard. The fact is that before (maybe even now) a lot of people complained how their Mac(book) is running hotter with Ubuntu then with OSX.

My netbook runs hotter in linux than in xp too :(

The Toxic Mite
February 28th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Uncertainty!

Doubt!

This!!