PDA

View Full Version : Best open source software clones of popular applications that aren't well known. . .

Macfunky
February 27th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I'm constantly amazed at the new open source software that i find when i think I've found all of what i want. I'm not necessarily talking about open office being a clone or similar to Microsoft here. For instance today i found Ultrastar which is a clone of Singstar. Also i recently came across frets on fire which i feel is a very good clone of guitar hero. Not specifically looking for games here but any popular applications/programmes that your friends use on other platforms that there are alternatives out there in open source form for Linux. I keep coming across stuff that isn't promoted well enough to be able to find easily on the web and I'm constantly amazed at the open source work going on. So what applications/software do you know about that took you awhile to find but thought was brilliant and that you think other people should check out?

KhaaL
February 27th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Sounds like you could get lot of joy from this site: http://alternativeto.net/

fatality_uk
February 27th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Just check out my sig

Macfunky
February 27th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I have used sites like those before and found loads of stuff. Rather what i'm asking here is for personal recommendations. Thanks for the links though guys :D