PDA

View Full Version : help customizing minimal install with openbox

Mykle87
February 27th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I have been using Ubuntu Desktop on my laptop for a couple of years now and absolutely love it. I also use Ubuntu Server on my server box and am learning so much about the command-line. For my laptop, I am starting to think that as great as Ubuntu is, it comes with a lot of stuff I don't need. What I would like to do is start with a minimal command-line only install and add Openbox to it because I really like the way Openbox looks and feels. What I am afraid of is not being able to do routine things on it such as connect to a wireless network with the click of a button. I know I have to install gnome-network-manager or wicd if I want to do that but I just want to make sure that this setup is still functional. What packages do you recommend I add? I think I would like to have the system menu from Gnome but maybe I don't need it? I would prefer to not have a login manager. What do you guys think? Have any of you done this? Thanks.

Tibuda
February 27th, 2010, 10:49 PM
If you want something more out-of-the-openbox, I'd recommend you to try Crunchbang (http://crunchbanglinux.org/), which is an Ubuntu derivative that uses Openbox. They have two flavors: Standard with more apps and Lite with only basic functionality. If this is not what you want, go the Minibuntu route (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal).

This guide covers almost everything you need to know about Openbox:
http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/

I know I have to install gnome-network-manager or wicd if I want to do that but I just want to make sure that this setup is still functional.
If you choose wicd, install the wicd package and add wicd-client & to your ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh file. I recommend also to add a systray to that file, so you can see wicd/nm icon. urukrama guide covers it.

I would prefer to not have a login manager. What do you guys think? Have any of you done this?
About the login manager, you can start x after the tty login, if you add the following to your ~/.bashrc: (reference (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_Boot))

if [[ -z "$DISPLAY" ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]]; then
startx
logout
fi
it will run your ~/.xinitrc file, so create this file and add the following:

exec openbox-session

mkvnmtr
February 27th, 2010, 10:50 PM
You have a point about Ubuntu coming with a lot of stuff I do not want or need. I like to use the ninimal install but I find it difficult to get all the little things to make it work like you want. For example what program are you going to install to mount automaticly USB sticks? What program do I install to get the ability to right click and have theoption to execute the file? Sometimes I get it right and sometimes not. You might try Crunchbang. It is built from a minimal install and uses open box and seems to give you a good start with almost no fluff. The only thing I found I did not like was gdm. I find it uses a good bit of resources for no purpose when i can log in from the command line.
Try installing in virtual box and you can try a lot of options and just delete when you do not like it.

Tibuda
February 27th, 2010, 10:55 PM
For example what program are you going to install to mount automaticly USB sticks?
Thunar or PCManFM

What program do I install to get the ability to right click and have theoption to execute the file?
what?

Mykle87
February 27th, 2010, 10:55 PM
@danielrmt
Thanks for the help. I've read those links and I guess what I am most worried about is things like mounting usb drives and stuff. I guess I could just install the minimal and actually use it for a little while and if I can't get something to work, revert back to good ol' gnome.

@mkvnmtr
Its funny that you mention Virtualbox because that is exactly what I'm doing. I tried Crunchbang and I think it is ok but I don't think I would use it. I will keep building my virtualbox minimal install until I get it the way I like. Thanks.

Mykle87
February 27th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Thunar or PCManFM

Thunar can automatically mount usb drives? Good to know. I figured I would have to use Nautilus but I would rather use Thunar.

Tibuda
February 27th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Thunar can automatically mount usb drives? Good to know. I figured I would have to use Nautilus but I would rather use Thunar.
Yeah, you should start it as daemon in your openbox autostart.sh file.

thunar --daemon &
If you install thunar-volman, you'll be able to choose what to do when different kind of devices (cameras, video dvds, etc) are plugged.

Mykle87
February 27th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Yeah, you should start it as daemon in your openbox autostart.sh file.

thunar --daemon &

Thanks. What do you recommend for changing the resolution of the monitor?

Tibuda
February 27th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks. What do you recommend for changing the resolution of the monitor?

lxrandr

Also, to install proprietary drivers, install jockey-gtk.

Mykle87
February 27th, 2010, 11:04 PM
lxrandr

Also, to install proprietary drivers, install jockey-gtk.

Ok great. Anything else you can think of? I am certainly not as worried as I once was about going minimal.

Tibuda
February 27th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Ok great. Anything else you can think of? I am certainly not as worried as I once was about going minimal.

Here's a list with some core functionality:
nitrogen to set a wallpaper
tint2 to get a taskbar
xcompmgr to have compositing
gmrun to launch different apps (you have to add a key binding to it)
obmenu to edit the openbox menu
obconf to edit openbox settings
lxappearance to edit your gtk and icon themes

Mykle87
February 27th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Here's a list with some core functionality:
nitrogen to set a wallpaper
tint2 to get a taskbar
xcompmgr to have compositing
gmrun to launch different apps (you have to add a key binding to it)
obmenu to edit the openbox menu
obconf to edit openbox settings
lxappearance to edit your gtk and icon themes

Thanks for the list. I have read about all those applications and understand they are what I need. Once that is all setup, I'll add OpenOffice, Firefox, Pidgin, etc. whatever else I use on a daily basis. Thanks again for all your help.

Tibuda
February 27th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the list. I have read about all those applications and understand they are what I need. Once that is all setup, I'll add OpenOffice, Firefox, Pidgin, etc. whatever else I use on a daily basis. Thanks again for all your help.

glad to help :)

Tibuda
February 27th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I should also recommend you to not install the tint2 from ubuntu repositories, but from the devs PPA:
http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Install#For_Ubuntu_9.10_%28Karmic%29