PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] new install = broken grub plus wireless problems

curtk69
February 27th, 2010, 08:05 PM
ok i installed a new copy of xp home edition
then ubuntu

i had wireless problems i couldnt fix with ubuntu so i installed xubuntu as well alongside windows xp and ubuntu.

The xubuntu installed ok but i was given about 5 choices of which grub bootloader i wanted to use.

i think i chose the existing recomended version which turned out to be a mistake.
the grub is almost totally broken.
it will boot the new xubuntu but nothing else. in fact if i even try to make another choice the grub and whole computer freezes and needs HARD REBOOT
how do i fix this bootloader w/o losing my windows xp?

i am still having wireless problems too.

on the old ubuntu i couldnt even log onto the wireless.
now it logs on alright, sometimes even automatically by itself but now i am getting alot of SERVER NOT FOUND errors when trying to surf webpages.

i was getting similar problems with windows xp before i installed xubuntu

any ideas whats going on here?

quixote
March 1st, 2010, 02:11 AM
Before trying to troubleshoot, what versions are involved? Did you install ubuntu Karmic? Xubuntu karmic? Something else? Or, Gutsy as per your sig?

Also, when you say five choices about grub: what do you mean? Was this later on in the install, when it asks "use package maintainer's version" "keep existing version" and so on, and asks whether you want to compare the different versions?

Important thing to remember: your winxp is fine, even your ubuntus are fine. It's just a matter of getting the bootloader sorted out. That's tedious and annoying, but fixable.