PDA

View Full Version : Ireland

KegHead
February 27th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Hi!

My wife is going to Ireland-Dublin this summer.

Are there any must see sites/attractions?

Thanks!

KegHead

cascade9
February 27th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Since shes married to a KegHead, maybe the guinness brewery but I'm not sure on that.

The Floozie in the Jacuzzi ;)

Shpongle
February 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
well theres always something to do. theres lots of tours available, mostly historic sites etc. bring a raincoat! :-p , we can have 4 seasons in one day over here. the public transportation is cheap enough , beware of the tourist areas that charge a lot eg pubs in temple bar.

heres a few links that may help you.

http://visitireland.com/
http://www.irishtourism.com/
http://www.dublinsightseeing.ie/
http://www.visitdublin.com/

hope yous enjoy your trip

Shpongle
February 27th, 2010, 03:26 PM
The Floozie in the Jacuzzi ;)

thats gone now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Livia_(monument)

The Real Dave
February 27th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Easiest way to see the nicest parts of the city is to hop onto a tour bus. They're everywhere, and show the best parts. You can (usually) hop off and hop back on again, so you can walk around too. I'm not from that part of the country (opposite end actually), so I wouldn't know any specific attractions. I imagine the Discover Ireland website would be a good place to look/

Hwæt
February 27th, 2010, 06:00 PM
London, Edinburgh, and Glasgow. :P

KegHead
February 27th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Hi!

Thanks for your replies!

Thanks cascade! she'going to the brewery for a t-shirt for me!

KegHead

samalex
February 27th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hi!

Thanks!

KegHead

Wow! My mom and step-dad just got back from spending a week in Dublin. I'll ask them and see if they have any suggestions then get back with ya.

Sam

Henry Flower
February 27th, 2010, 07:50 PM
To be honest, there are no really outstanding sights - it's more of an atmosphere place. Kilmainham Gaol is interesting though, and if your wife's at all literary, the Martello Tower is essential. :)

Groucho Marxist
February 27th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Hi!

Thanks!

KegHead

I know that when I go to Ireland, I plan on visiting the major sites involved in Easter Rising and the Irish War of Independence.

bluelamp999
February 27th, 2010, 07:59 PM
If she's not restricted to Dublin only, I highly recommend an excursion to the Southwest of the country.

Specifically County Kerry, the Dingle Peninsula and the Ring Of Kerry are outstandingly beautiful - http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=ring+of+kerry&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=imyJS9aWIZj00gS08_nJCw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CCYQsAQwAw

I'm from Kerry though, so I'm probably biased... :p

Edit: changed link...

KegHead
February 27th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Hi Bluelamp!

She's staying with relatives in Dublin.

Mostly stay in that area!

BTW-how the weather in mid june?

KegHead

RabbitWho
February 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Why does everyone go to Dublin? It's the least Irish part of Ireland and it's the ugliest capital city I've ever been to... and I've been to about 12 I think... 13 next Easter when I go to Bratislava.

I'm sure she'll have a great time anyway, it's not tooooo bad and at least the people are nice, even if they're not really Irish, all that time spent in the Pale and all.

(Yeah, I'm from Cork)

Galway and Kerry are the most beautiful places for tourists, and proper Ireland too.

In mid June it will be raining, though last year I think it was sunny... It was either really hot or really wet.. because when I got home everyone was like "Jeeze you're lucky you weren't here in June!"

Zoot7
February 27th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Another site to check out on Dublin.
http://www.discoverireland.com/int/ireland-places-to-go/areas-and-cities/dublin-city/?WT.lbicg_n=redirects&WT.lbicg_s=dublin&

I'm from Kerry though, so I'm probably biased... :p
I'm not from the Kerry side of the country myself but I'd definitely argee there, It's definitely one of the nicest places to check out in Ireland, weather pending of course. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

(Yeah, I'm from Cork)
I much rather Cork to Dublin myself, been living there for 4 years now, so i'm probably a tad biased. But after all it is in the top 10 cities to visit in the world. ;)
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1103/lonelyplanet.html

RabbitWho
February 27th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I much rather Cork to Dublin myself, been living there for 4 years now, so i'm probably a tad biased. But after all it is in the top 10 cities to visit in the world. ;)
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1103/lonelyplanet.html

That's awesome! I lived with a guy who had pretty much every single book lonely planet ever published because he "loved travel" (a lot for someone who sat in front of the TV all day ) and he had this lonely planet book which included a list of the top 100 cities and Dublin was above Cork and we had a big argument about it (Which didn't even make any sense because he was from Galway). So I hope when he saw the new list he remembered me, realized he was wrong, and jumped off a bridge.

bluelamp999
February 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Hi Bluelamp!

She's staying with relatives in Dublin.

Mostly stay in that area!

BTW-how the weather in mid june?

KegHead

Hey KegHead!

The weather in Ireland is only predictable in it's unpredictability...

When in Dublin, she should definitely hit Ranelagh for a night. It's one of the few remaining village-y parts of the city. Lots of nice bars and restaurants. Again, I'm biased here as I live in Ranelagh... :p

But Ranelagh is widely considered one of the nicer parts of town and can be very pleasant on a balmy Summer evening.

As for other posts here recommending Cork city I have to concur. Cork has always been more cutting edge artistically than the capital (and as a Kerry man it pains me to admit this!) Though it wouldn't have the breadth of stuff as is on offer as Dublin...

Zoot7
February 27th, 2010, 09:48 PM
That's awesome! I lived with a guy who had pretty much every single book lonely planet ever published because he "loved travel" (a lot for someone who sat in front of the TV all day ) and he had this lonely planet book which included a list of the top 100 cities and Dublin was above Cork and we had a big argument about it (Which didn't even make any sense because he was from Galway). So I hope when he saw the new list he remembered me, realized he was wrong, and jumped off a bridge.
Out of the 5 cities in Ireland there seems to be a trend among most people I talk to - most seem to like Cork and Galway a lot but dislike Dublin and Limerick. :)

RabbitWho
February 27th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Out of the 5 cities in Ireland there seems to be a trend among most people I talk to - most seem to like Cork and Galway a lot but dislike Dublin and Limerick. :)

Ha ha I forgot about Limerick. I actually considered moving there once because I figured after Limerick every place on earth would look beautiful to me.

Zoot7
February 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM
I actually considered moving there once because I figured after Limerick every place on earth would look beautiful to me.
:lolflag: no argument there!
I gave last summer there on my undergraduate work placement, needless to say, I wouldn't be running back there any time soon.

bluelamp999
February 27th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Ha ha I forgot about Limerick. I actually considered moving there once because I figured after Limerick every place on earth would look beautiful to me.

I, for my sins, ran a boozer there for eight years...

Whilst there's loads of nice people there I couldn't/wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Unless they're a social anthropologist with an interest in urban decay - It's the Detroit of Ireland (sadly!)

underquark
February 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM
And she won't even be going to the brewery either. It's the Storehouse that they do the tours in. The brewery itself has about as much character as a chemical plant. Oh, and avoid the Guinness extra cold that they (non-native bar staff) try to sell you. At least in Bratislava you can get a decent beer.

RabbitWho
February 27th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Just so that doesn't sound like racism/xenophobia to non Irish nationals:

Very few non-Irish know how to pour Guinness, maybe the British, but that's it. In Madrid all the adds for Guinness showed it as being fizzy like coke.

The Guinness brewery hostel is lovely, lots of character, clean, friendly staff.

(And for that matter, clean friendly staff.)

rob22941
February 27th, 2010, 10:36 PM
I was in Ireland back in May '09 for 2 weeks. Great country ton's of fun. Everyone is nice as can be really wonderful. I did the Guinness brewery, if you go you have to go to the tower and you can throw some brews back and overlook the entire city it's one big party. I also did the Jameson distillery. It is more of an atmosphere town then a sightseeing town. You can take the train or bus pretty much everywhere. We didn't have a car. Bar hopping in Dublin is way better then here in the states, I think. It is about 5 euros a pint, everywhere. My girlfriend at the time did a semester there Spring 09 so she pretty much took me everywhere. I absolutely loved just walking around the town and taking it all in.

I'd definitely take the DART(train) across to Galway. It runs straight from Dublin. It's gorgeous on the Western coast. I took a ferry to the Aran Islands which were mind blowing in my opinion. I did do a tour bus around Galway too. Absolutely beautiful. I think there were more sightseeing stuff in Galway, smaller population too. I can post some photos of my trip if you'd like.

RabbitWho
February 27th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Show!
Flickr is a great place to look for pictures, i made the mistake of having a look just there and now I'm homesick.

At least where I live the beers are 80 cents a pint and not 5 euro.

Shpongle
February 27th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Show!
At least where I live the beers are 80 cents a pint and not 5 euro.

happy days :-)

RabbitWho
February 27th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Here's a good flicker account from a nice (Croatian I think) tourist: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21787900@N05/3391150329/in/photostream/

Was all over the place :)

rob22941
February 27th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Some Aran Islands, Trim Castle(Braveheart-I also did the tour), Irish countryside outside Galway, Cliffs of Moher, among others. I don't have any type of photo blog online...

The Real Dave
February 28th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I'm not from the Kerry side of the country myself but I'd definitely argee there, It's definitely one of the nicest places to check out in Ireland, weather pending of course. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Ah yes, Kerry is gorgeous. But if this is turning into a Cork vs Dublin thread....you can count me in!!!! :D :D

The weather in Ireland is only predictable in it's unpredictability...

Exactly :) Plan for everything, and you'll be fine. Hoodies are godsent :)

Very few non-Irish know how to pour Guinness, maybe the British, but that's it. In Madrid all the adds for Guinness showed it as being fizzy like coke.

I watched a few foreigners last night trying to drink Guinness like beer, fast as possible. Do what's right, and let it settle :) Drink it slow, and savour it.

rob22941
February 28th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I watched a few foreigners last night trying to drink Guinness like beer, fast as possible. Do what's right, and let it settle :) Drink it slow, and savour it.[/QUOTE]

Haha when I got back to the states I ordered some Guiness at some pubs and bars by me and they pour it and bring it right too ya. Tisk ](*,) tisk. Not like Ireland where they pour it let it settle on the matt and then give it to you when it's ready. I have to say though the Guinness in the states just doesn't compare to the Guinness in Ireland. Can't wait til I go back.

underquark
February 28th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I have to say though the Guinness in the states just doesn't compare to the Guinness in Ireland. Can't wait til I go back.Part of it's the brew but a large part is the atmosphere. Try and get your hands on some bottles of Guinness Foreign Extra - it seems to travel well.

KegHead
February 28th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Ouch!

The Detroit of Ireland?

KegHead

RabbitWho
February 28th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Is Detroit really that bad?

I used to stop over in Limerick on the bus on the way to Galway, and in 3 years I never saw someone smile there.

rob22941
February 28th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Part of it's the brew but a large part is the atmosphere. Try and get your hands on some bottles of Guinness Foreign Extra - it seems to travel well.

Will do, thanks for the recommendation.

KegHead
June 22nd, 2010, 04:55 PM
Hi!

Well, my wife finally made it to Ireland.

She loves it, has been in Dublin and spending time in Cork.

Total time in Ireland-10 days.

She calls daily and took a 2gb sd card for pics.

thanks to all for info.

KegHead