PDA

View Full Version : My Daughter Is a Convert

Khakilang
February 27th, 2010, 09:02 AM
After having install Wimax she start having problem with her notebook. It become slow at boot up and the internet is getting slow. So she ask me for help thinking it was the Wimax speed problem.

So I explain to her about spyware, malware and virus in Window that may have cause the problem and internet speed. Than she ask me to install Ubuntu 9.10 for her. Everything works fine. Now she is happy.

Right now she is totally convert to Linux. How many of you have this situation? Maybe you can share with us.:popcorn:

Swagman
February 27th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Right up until she wants to connect to iTunes for her iPhone.

Congrats on the convert but you aint out of the woods yet...So to speak.

ctrlmd
February 27th, 2010, 09:27 AM

don't worry he will buy her a mac since he just explained to her that running windows too risky and it's not safe right ? :D

Kazade
February 27th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Actually, my gf thinks Rhythmbox's iPod support is loads easier to use that iTunes (just drag and drop) and she was amazed when to set the cover artwork she just had to find an image on the web, drag it to the desktop, then drag it to Rhythmbox. She doesn't use iTunes anymore (despite it being installed dual-boot). To buy music she just uses Amazon.

Khakilang
February 27th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Actually the software she will ever use most of the time is Firefox, Open office word, movie player and rhythm box.

Swagman
February 27th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Actually, my gf thinks Rhythmbox's iPod support is loads easier to use that iTunes (just drag and drop) and she was amazed when to set the cover artwork she just had to find an image on the web, drag it to the desktop, then drag it to Rhythmbox. She doesn't use iTunes anymore (despite it being installed dual-boot). To buy music she just uses Amazon.

That's excellent. My daughters all do the same... but... They are not "The Norm".

Most people think iPod means iTunes.

But if you noticed in my previous post I actually said "iTunes to connect an iPhone"

The key being iPhone

People are using their iPhones as mp3 players now instead of iPods. We can't sync to iPhones (yet) and I suspect that's by design !!

ronnielsen1
February 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM
My Daughter Is a Convert

Mine too finally. I fixed her up a P4 for her and after a couple of weeks, she was saying it had lots of awesome screensavers, great graphics and a really cool powerpoint program

Kazade
February 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM
We can't sync to iPhones (yet) and I suspect that's by design !!

Ah I didn't realize :(

slakkie
February 27th, 2010, 02:29 PM
After 3 years I finally got my gf to use Ubuntu. I installed Jaunty on her laptop and it is working fine. We agreed she would try it out for a month and so far I haven't heard any complaint from her.

Post Monkeh
February 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM
After 3 years I finally got my gf to use Ubuntu. I installed Jaunty on her laptop and it is working fine. We agreed she would try it out for a month and so far I haven't heard any complaint from her.

my mrs is complaining about vista and keeps saying how she wants windows 7.
all she uses her laptop for is facebook, bebo, music, msn and storing her pictures. she has to use msoffice the odd time.
there's no way i'm wasting money on windows 7 for her so i'm just waiting for the day she gets fed up enough with vista to give ubuntu a try. i'll do the same as you and tell her to try it for a month. people are just afraid of anything different

Kdar
February 27th, 2010, 04:19 PM
:) Congratulation!!!

Is your wife Linux convert too?

Cowchip7
February 27th, 2010, 08:21 PM
My wife will never convert. She loves Windows... :confused::confused:

Kdar
February 28th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I converted my mother and aunt :) (well, he husband helped her with it too, he is Linux geek too)

MooPi
February 28th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I'm about to attempt a conversion with a friend. She gave me her broken computer the other day without any money to replace damaged parts. She will need a new Windows COA if she wants Windows( Motherboard, power supply, CPU,memory need replaced). So I'm going to load Ubuntu on a flash drive that will enable her to try Linux without cost while I front her the cost of the hardware. With a little instruction and hand holding she may choose Linux if not for the reduced cost of an OS.

Swagman
February 28th, 2010, 12:41 AM
So, Practically the whole computer is b0rked !!

MooPi
February 28th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Yes and the hard drive is on the verge of failure. I suspect some of the software to be pirated , as I found a couple key-generators.

Kai69
February 28th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I'm about to attempt a conversion with a friend. She gave me her broken computer the other day without any money to replace damaged parts. She will need a new Windows COA if she wants Windows( Motherboard, power supply, CPU,memory need replaced). So I'm going to load Ubuntu on a flash drive that will enable her to try Linux without cost while I front her the cost of the hardware. With a little instruction and hand holding she may choose Linux if not for the reduced cost of an OS.

Why not just buy her a new lappy ??;)

speedwell68
February 28th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Mine is a total convert. I bought her a Linux Netbook for Christmas. As along as she can surf the web she doesn't care what OS it runs. She doesn't like IE, but then she has been using firefox for years.

ronnielsen1
March 4th, 2010, 11:07 AM
people are just afraid of anything different

Yeah, got a friend of mine running ubuntu with Phranks XP look. He isn't having any more trouble with his laptop and it resembles what he's used to.

ell02
March 4th, 2010, 12:28 PM
My wife is a happy minter, has been a couple years now.She is mostly into the social web thing with a couple games thrown in.Sometimes i call her my little geek when she discovers something new or a new way to do something,makes her smile.
Ain't that what it's all about.