PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Large problem with my .ICEauthority file. Main user account not booting.

Trougedoor122
February 27th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Hello all, the problem I am facing is one that is very annoying, I can't boot into my main user account. every time I try i get the following errors:

"Could not update ICEauthority file /home/justin/.ICEauthority"

"There is a problem with the configuration server. (/usr/lib/libconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)"

I have tried countless solutions to this problem, and would like to put it out in advance that this is probably not a problem with file permissions as all of the fixes I have tried for that didn't work. I encrypted my home folder during installation and recently changed my password but didn't unwrap my new passphrase. Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Trougedoor122
March 2nd, 2010, 04:28 PM
Um... Can I have some help please?

nothingspecial
March 2nd, 2010, 04:44 PM
I encrypted my home folder during installation and recently changed my password but didn't unwrap my new passphrase. Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

You can probably solve this by changing your password again.

Login to a root recovery shell and issue
passwd username

Change your password then try to log in normally with the new password.

Trougedoor122
March 7th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Changing my password didn't work.

Oldbones
May 11th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I am having this same problem as well. Here's my situation.

I didn't like how 10.04 upgraded my system, so I opted for a clean install. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1501 which has an ATI graphics card (w/ nvidia chip :confused:) whose display doesn't work with the Live CD. I therefore installed with a alternate CD - which worked great.

Here's where everything went wrong: I had a /home partition I didn't format that I was expecting to use with the freshly installed kernel. While going through the alternate-install-CD menu system, I simply placed in all the current credentials (username password) expecting to only have one user name.

I've explored the threads and can't get any satisfaction. I could format the /home participation but I would lose a lot of time building my system back up.

I can get to the terminal easy enough by hitting ctrl+alt+F1

-Oldbones