PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB error renders system useless.

Zdrok
February 27th, 2010, 01:34 AM
I'm sure you guys have gotten this before.

GRUB Loading.
Error: no such disk
grub rescue>

I can imagine the people reading this thinking "Another one?" but this is a unique problem. I have read that people just insert the Live CD and it's all fine and dandy from then on. Not for me. I cannot access the boot files at all (the 'no disk found' error tells me that) nor the BIOS. If I attempt to enter the BIOS, a long beep is heard and I have to enter some sort of setup password. The GRUB screen, meanwhile...I'm sure you all know what it looks like. What command do I enter in order to find the disk? Do I have to insert my Live CD? The computer can't even boot from the disk so I'm pretty much stuck. I want to fix this myself & learn something rather than pay money for an expert to fix it, and I doubt many are professional experts on Ubuntu (who get paid for it ;)).

All I ask of you is to help me out here ands I hope I will be accepted into your community. Also, if this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

~Z

presence1960
February 27th, 2010, 05:33 AM
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:search

Zdrok
February 27th, 2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks, I'll try it out later today.,

Zdrok
February 28th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Apologizes for the double post, but apparently either the BIOS needs to be reset or I need a new hard drive. I'm not sure how to fix this problem.