PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] It works only when it wants to

keforex
February 27th, 2010, 01:08 AM
I have two separated hard drives. One with Ubuntu and the other with Kubuntu. I can choose either via grub at boot time.

Even though they are completely separated, they have exact copies of the xorg.conf files.

Ubuntu has been working fine and loads X no problem, every single time, not one issue at all.

Kubuntu on the other hand... loads the graphic interface when it feels like it. Sometimes it loads quickly and it works like a charm all day. Other days it will start loading, I see the Kubuntu progress screen but then... the screen goes black and some red smudges appear up top.

I know the desktop is there, alive. I just can't see it. Why Kubuntu is so unstable? Am I missing something here? It works awesome some days, and on a different day it won't work at all. WEIRD.

Help!!

keforex
February 28th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Bumpage... no one?...

MCVenom
February 28th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Can't really explain why perse, but Kubuntu is kinda.... *edited for content*... yeah. KDE apparently doesn't mesh well with Ubuntu, for whatever reason. I think Ubuntu is one of the best distros out there, but if anyone is bent on using KDE I would definitely recommend Linux Mint KDE or Mandriva over Kubuntu any day.

That being said I hope you get a more helpful answer to your question :D

warp99
February 28th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Does this occur when compositing is turned on? The reason is that Ubuntu uses Compiz for composite graphics, which is pretty mature, while KDE uses plasma with it's own set of plugins.

keforex
February 28th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Warp99 - that is a good point, I am going to check this out and see if the problem goes away.

BlackOtaku - I will give Mint Linux a try. I didn't know about this distribution, it seems interesting.

Thanks guys and I will post updates here until I can tag this as [solved].

MCVenom
February 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Yeah, Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, so you shouldn't have many problems with it. The KDE version is under Community Editions :D

keforex
March 10th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Problem solved - I ditched Kubuntu and I am using Linux mint now.