PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] python beginner

kokoshmusun
February 26th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hi,
I'm on Karmic/GNOME. I want to make a quick entry into the programming world and my choice is Python. It's been around 15 years since I last programmed and can be considered a total newbie (also new to Linux) so I have some questions:

1) I'm assuming I should work with Python 3.x. I have Python 2.5 and 2.6 for running programs in Ubuntu Karmic. Can I uninstall these older versions? What packages do I need for installing a programmer's version of Python 3.x?

2) I assume an IDE would be good to get familiar with. I don't have experience with any. What would you recommend for a beginner (FOSS please).

3) I've downloaded some free python documents/books online. Any recommendations (paid books included)?

4) One of the reasons I'm getting into Python is to be able to program psychology experiments using PyEPL that I just found out. Any recommendations on how I can get started on that? I'm hoping PyEPL will save me from proprietary software and if it does, I will spread it around my academic community (I'm a soon to be asst.prof).

I know this is a lot but anything is helpful and this forum is the one I've relied on the most for useful info as I eased into freedom (from Vista to Karmic, ahhhh...), so.... Thanks in advance.

oldfred
February 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Dual post, see this current thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1417416