PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need to install a printer

crazydjdave
February 26th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Hi guys,

I currently have a canon Pixma MP480 printer.

Ubuntu currently does not have the printer in its list of printers and I need to use the printer. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks x

zachHH
February 26th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Check out this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1166715

Unfortunately, it seems that there is absolutely no support for your printer. Maybe something has been developed since that thread, but it doesn't look like it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Zach

EDIT: If you system is all Ubuntu, you could try virtual box. If not, you could dual boot with a windows partition in order to print

blur xc
February 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Hi guys,

I currently have a canon Pixma MP480 printer.

Ubuntu currently does not have the printer in its list of printers and I need to use the printer. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks x

My condolences...

Canon printers suck. You can purchase a proprietary package called Turbo Print which supports some Canon printers. It worked with our MP980, but that printer was such a POS (network printer, and you can only set it up while connected to a windows computer w/ a usb cable) always dropped off the network and was a super pain to get back on again.

I ended up ditching it and getting an HP 6500 wireless. Fantastic reliable printer with excellent Linux support.

In a nutshell, you have three options- get Turboprint (I think it was about $40usd), which at best is a band-aid fix, go back to windows and happily print to your canon printer, or buy something with better Linux support.

For the record- that HP was recently on sale at newegg for $100 w/ free shipping. I paid $140 + tax at Costco.

BM

koryGander
March 16th, 2010, 12:28 AM
ARGH!!! FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUU!!

I want to make a comic out of this.. I have to print my irs extension (http://www.onlineirsextension.com/) forms and sign them before leaving for the EU. I have 2hrs left until the cab shows up, my Windows PC is down and out, my laptop is with the GF, and my only working machine has
absolutely no support for your printer?!

I seriously was ecstatic about this search result too! Mega anti-climax.. ;P

How sad am I? If only I could port the printer over to my terminal session here at work and print through that?!

Time to go borrow some sugar from the neighbour methinks!