PDA

View Full Version : Qingy?

bonzodog
March 9th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Does anyone have this working yet? I have seen screenshots of it, and it looks very cool, and I know it needs the directfb libs to work, but it would be cool if someone got this login manager to work in ubuntu. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, it is a login manager that runs in the framebuffer/console and enables you to theme it. It will start your favourite X session, then when you logout, you go back to console effectively.

http://qingy.sourceforge.net/

evilgold
March 9th, 2006, 03:42 AM
i checked it out a while back on my gentoo system. Its not really anything special. Hard to configure, and i could only get one log in at a time. Its supposed to allow multiple x sessions (1 per tty) but i could only get 1 to work. Its a nice idea, but it doesnt do anythig that gdm/kdm cant.

papangul
March 9th, 2006, 04:28 AM
I had also used Qingy on my Gentoo system for quite sometime and I didn't find it hard to configure. It detected all my Desktop Environments or window managers automatically, the themes are cool and easy to install and if one logs in console mode it is very fast compared to any other login manager.