PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Minimal install on netbook

becker_11
February 26th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Greetings wise and knowledgeable Ubuntu users,

I started out with a standard Ubuntu desktop install and decided I wasn't comfortable with gnome so I installed xubuntu-desktop and really enjoyed using that for a few months. I then decided to install openbox which I've now been using for the past month and am really enjoying.

I'm planning on doing a format and reinstall of my desktop machine when 10.04 comes out and I decided I would build my own if you like using the minimal cd.

So this weekend I thought I would do a trial run if you like on my Eee pc netbook. Basically if I stuff it up I can start again as the netbook isn't critically important unlike the desktop which needs to be usable.

Anyway I am comfortable with apt-get and dpkg at the command line and I have a list of software I want to install (firfox, leafpad, vim, empathy, twidge, bashpodder, mocp, w3m, mutt, conky, screen, irssi, nano) and many more my main concern is installing the X server and openbox.

Looking through synaptic I see there are many drivers installed for X which I don't need are they installed by default or is it possible to only get the ones I need??

I'm aiming for a minimal only what I will use install so any help you could give me would be appreciated.

1 last thing as it is a netbook I have to do a usb install if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Becker

Kakers
February 26th, 2010, 12:20 PM
You could try Ubuntu Netbook Remix:
http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download-netbook

becker_11
February 26th, 2010, 12:48 PM
On the Eeepc I have already used UNR and for what it was I liked it currently I am using Crunchbang 9.04 desktop on there as I like tweaking things a bit more than is possible with UNR.

All that aside as I stated in the original post this is a test install before I do a similar thing with the desktop machine upon the release of 10.04.