PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Generally low FPS with Compiz / Awesome FPS with Benchmark enabled

danielpop
February 26th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Ok, this is beyond weird. I have a Core 2 Duo E7500 machine with a GeForce 9800 graphics card (512 VRAM) + 3 GBs of RAM and am running Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit, fully updated.

I seem to get very low FPS when running the fancy effects provided by Compiz. I've tried changing all the settings, nothing helped.

When I was ready to give up and admit it was a driver problem of some sorts, I activated the Benchmark feature in Compiz to see the exact number of frames per second. And hey, what do you know? 60 (real, not a reporting error) FPS all the way! But only with the big counter on the top left. Exceptionally smooth animations, just the way it is supposed to perform.

WTH, people? :) Thanks!

EDIT:

Erm, I disabled and enabled compiz. It works fine now.

*walks away in shame*

duranman
August 30th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I'm having this exact same issue, however restarting compiz did nothing to improve the situation. Requesting SOLVED be removed.

Horrible performance without benchmark tool running. Runs great when it's displayed. I've manually set my refresh rate and disabled auto detect. Been working on this for hours and have made no headway. It would seem I've exhausted every fix on the planet :confused:

Anyone out there found a real fix for this benchmark tool dilemma?

EDIT

Updated Compiz to newest version, 0.8.6, 10.04 comes standard with 0.8.4. Reset to defaults, disabled refresh rate detection, set to native, enabled vblank and BAM, works great!

Looks like I hadn't tried everything :D