PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Vaio P and Ubuntu, a match made in hell?

demonic_bunny
February 26th, 2010, 07:01 AM
I love the Vaio P, and, despite it being slow and old as hell in computer years, I'm thinking about picking up one. Problem is, it runs Windows like crap, so I'm wondering if Ubuntu would fare any better.

Anyone used a Vaio P with Ubuntu? How was it?

tomoki.taniguchi
May 4th, 2010, 03:30 PM
just a few days in...
I am running karmic Netbook Remix. (tried installing Lucid, but ditched it because the needed graphics driver is not available yet, and suspend/hibernate doesn't work on lucid)

i am quite happy with it so far. but that might be because i don't do much with it.
just require a pc i can carry everywhere and be able to boot fast and surf.

i installed using wubi and i get a boot time under a minute, and the system will shutdown around 10 sec i think. a considerable improvements compared to the xp i downgraded to when i bought it. hibernate still doesn't work for me, but since suspend works, it does not bother me much.

the graphics driver you have to install manually but it was fairly straight forward
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo

i haven't really used it besides for browsing the net on the road, so i can't really tell you if it will suit your needs, but i am happy with it so far.

just hoping it will be supported under lucid soon since there are some noticable improvements to the boot and shutdown times.

-tomoki