PDA

View Full Version : How to make soft chicken?

sudoer541
February 26th, 2010, 06:12 AM
I went to my friend's friend wedding last week and AAAAAAWWWWWWW!!! I cant forget the boneless soft chicken I ate at the banquet hall!

How do they make the chicken so soft and juicy?
Any chefs here? :D;)

ndefontenay
February 26th, 2010, 06:15 AM
yeah. My mom knows how to do that.
Basically, you have to strip the bone out of the chicken so you strip the muscles off the bone but you keep the meat under the skin. Keep practicing!

When your chicken is boneless, you stuff it with whatever you like. You can find any recipe you want to stuff it. Then you cook it :)

You will need a strong needle and thread to close the chicken.

I don't think it's worth keeping the legs on the chicken and try to take the bones out of it. So just cut the thighs and use the meat in your stuffing.

Nico

sudoer541
February 26th, 2010, 06:18 AM
yeah. My mom knows how to do that.
Basically, you have to strip the bone out of the chicken so you strip the muscles off the bone but you keep the meat under the skin. Keep practicing!

When your chicken is boneless, you stuff it with whatever you like. You can find any recipe you want to stuff it. Then you cook it :)

You will need a strong needle and thread to close the chicken.

Nico

No thats not what I am looking for:(
I already bought a pre-made bone-less chicken (Prime chicken brand) and I want to cook it and make it as soft as possible.

JackRock
February 26th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Me and my girlfriend find crockpots are excellent for making extremely tender chicken (or any meat, for that matter).

|{urse
February 26th, 2010, 06:28 AM
get a skillet, put the chicken in it, put a small amount of water in there, put a lid on it, let it simmer, enjoy.

Enigmapond
February 26th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I went to my friend's friend wedding last week and AAAAAAWWWWWWW!!! I cant forget the boneless soft chicken I ate at the banquet hall!

How do they make the chicken so soft and juicy?
Any chefs here? :D;)

Most boneless chicken are breasts...there's no bone there and you cut it with the skin intact season as desired..(salt,garlic,pepper,paprika,olive oil) & use the oven. The secret is not to overcook and put just a little water in the pan...don't go by time or silly pop-up thermometers. Use a meat thermometer and cook to 71c (160f). Take it out and let sit for 15mins covered to finish cooking. If you go by the temperature...you really can't go wrong.

sudo apt-get install yummy:D

|{urse
February 26th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Wow I should try that, with the water in the pan.. (haha).

wilee-nilee
February 26th, 2010, 07:00 AM
No thats not what I am looking for:(
I already bought a pre-made bone-less chicken (Prime chicken brand) and I want to cook it and make it as soft as possible.

If your sauté-ing you can take breast of chicken or other parts and put them between saran wrap and use something to pound lightly to break up the muscle fiber. Long cooking as others suggest will get you tender meat, but in a short cook you have to break the muscle up or break it down with a marinade that is acidic.

Kdar
February 26th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Check this out: Sous Vide
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2010-01/cooking-sous-vide-inexpensive-diy-way
I hear it can make anything almost as soft as a jello.

But.. maybe just marinate it? and cook on grill or something like that..
Well, my mother is cook in my family, so maybe I should ask her.

The Thug
February 26th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Probably the easiest way would be to hit it with a 10lb hammer. ;)

sudoer541
February 26th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Most boneless chicken are breasts...there's no bone there and you cut it with the skin intact season as desired..(salt,garlic,pepper,paprika,olive oil) & use the oven. The secret is not to overcook and put just a little water in the pan...don't go by time or silly pop-up thermometers. Use a meat thermometer and cook to 71c (160f). Take it out and let sit for 15mins covered to finish cooking. If you go by the temperature...you really can't go wrong.

sudo apt-get install yummy:D

I might give this a try, since I dont want to buy any kitchen-ware.
Thanks!

mips
February 26th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Place chicken in oven bag (with marinade etc) and pop in the oven BBQ for about 20-40mins (depends how soft you want it and it must have moisture in the bag.) before removing from the bag. Place back into oven/bbq and grill bake normally until it suites you.

Maheriano
February 26th, 2010, 09:38 PM
The softness is all about keeping the humidity up while cooking, chicken only gets tough once it's cooked and dried out. Or deep fried. So if you're cooking it over a flame, make sure to keep some water in the pan or even wrap it in tin foil so none of the juices get out. Or another way is to simply cook it in liquid by boiling it, this will also cause the meat to fall off the bone if you do buy chicken with bones in it.

And before cooking it, pound it with a tenderizer and also let it marinate for a few hours in a seasoning sauce. And don't ever ever ever ever ever freeze your meats. That's very bad.

fatcrab
February 26th, 2010, 10:02 PM
1-Get a chicken
2-Chop it's head off
3-Watch it run around without a head
4-Dunk it in boiling water
5-Pluck it
6-Cut out it's guts and stuff
7-Rub it with butter,salt and pepper
8-Bake it at 350F for about 1 hour
9-Enjoy( unless it was your kids pet and you have to watch them bwal when you eat it )

steveneddy
February 27th, 2010, 07:40 AM
get a skillet, put the chicken in it, put a small amount of water in there, put a lid on it, let it simmer, enjoy.

Agreed - the water ( one ounce ) will steam the meat and make it juicy - add salt, pepper, a little garlic and some parsley - all to taste of course - add a small amount of butter in there, too (half teaspoon)- 10 minutes per side on a medium heat - just enough to simmer a little

serve by itself or with with steamed broccoli or green beans and a small side of wild rice

I just made myself hungry.

Khakilang
February 27th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Run over it with a bulldozer several time.

Sublime Porte
February 27th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Just boil it for a bit before you cook it, that's what softens it up.

And to keep it juicey, just cover it with aluminum foil, to trap int he juices.

underquark
February 27th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Cut in to pieces
Marinate it overnight in fridge in a sealed container (keeps it moist and also stops your fridge becoming smelly)
Cook it hot in foil or in oven-proof dish with a little water

1 Tablespoon each of Cumin powder and Garam Massala
1 Teaspoon each of Turmeric powder and Chilli Powder
A few fat cloves of garlic (crushed)
1 inch grated ginger
Juice of 1 lemon
1 pint plain yoghurt

The yoghurt allows the spices to penetrate the meat to a greater depth (see Heston Blumenthal's book where he has MRI scans of the chicken to prove this).

Oxwivi
December 6th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Are you sure the softness is due the recipe? Some industrial chicken farmers inject protein dissolving enzymes into the chicken, which basically eats away at the protein fiber and make it softer.

Evil-Ernie
December 6th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I like that soft chicken you get in Chinese cooking but I havent a clue how they do it.

When I cook chicken I use some water to keep it moist and I try to cook it in the shortest time but I am always paranoid about raw poultry and salmonella so I tend to slightly overcook.

Ive heard about sous vide and it sounds very interesting but it does involve investment it some pricey kit so I dont think ill be trying that any time soon.

forrestcupp
December 6th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Probably the easiest way would be to hit it with a 10lb hammer. ;)

+1, or a meat cleaver. It makes a huge difference.

I know this is an old thread, but the OP didn't mention how it was cooked. You can't ask us how to cook it soft and not tell us if you want it baked, grilled, fried, or whatever.

mips
December 6th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Something else that works well is coconut milk/cream. I had a Portuguese/Mozambique style boneless chicken dish before which was tasty as hell and soft as butter.

inobe
December 6th, 2010, 05:13 PM
former chef

the chicken has to be flash cooked at a very high temperature, home stoves don't have the btu's to accomplish this, but you can get an iron skillet or grill pan and heat it hot, this very hot pan will sear the meat quickly, searing will lock in the juices, a thicker fillet may require a few extra minutes to finish in the oven, you can fillet the breast meat to avoid finishing in the oven, usually it's a mere minute or two on each side, let chicken rest on a plate for a few before serving due to contraction and expansion, heat causes contraction.

mips
December 6th, 2010, 05:42 PM
...searing will lock in the juices,...

Nonsense, that's an old wives tale and has been disproved many times. Searing does however enhance flavour.

inobe
December 6th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Nonsense, that's an old wives tale and has been disproved many times. Searing does however enhance flavour.

no different from the oven, but the oven has been known to produce juicier foods, it's the flash cooking that gives the best dish, many folks tend to nuke and overcook their food and it ends up dry and chewy ;-)

standingwave
December 6th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Covered pan and a little bit of chicken stock (or water in a pinch). Fruit slices can also be good.