PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] installing samba

Advait
February 26th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Hi All,

From what I can see it looks like I need to install Samba before I can share files between my Ubuntu 9.10 and Win7. I went to samba.org and they report the latest version of Samba as 3.4.6. When I searched for Samba in the Ubuntu software center, they report the Samba version as Version: 1.2.63-0ubuntu4 (system-config-samba).

Version 1.2.63 seems really old. Am I missing something? How can I install the latest version of Samba?

Thanks,

Tom the Uber Newbie

johnson.d
March 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM
System-config-samba is a front-end GUI tool for managing Samba server.You can try installing Samba server using synaptic package manager. You can follow this procedure to install the latest Samba version supported by Ubuntu.

1) Goto System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager
2) At the search box type 'samba'
3) It will list all the softwares that contain the name 'samba'
4) Select 'Samba'and Mark for installation
5) Click apply.

If you want to install the latest source version of Samba you can download it and install manually by downloading it manually from http://samba.org

madmax.santana
March 4th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Or, if you like to go hardcore with Linux, play around with console!

Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

Then type

sudo apt-get update

Requires your password and then it will retrieve lists of packages from repositories.

Then

sudo apt-get install samba samba4

Howsoever, method provided by johnson.d is fully functional and easiest!

Advait
March 4th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hi,

Thanks very much for the info. It turns out I had a misunderstanding of Samba. I thought I needed it in order to look at the files on my Windows 7 partition. I have Ubuntu 9.10 and Win7 installed in two separate partitions on my laptop. Much to my surprise, I discovered I was able to look at my Windows files directly from the file navigator in Ubuntu.

I'm not connected to any kind of network. I'm only connected to the internet.

Thanks