PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Questions about Xubuntu on Playstation 3

JMW4th
February 26th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Hi all.

I am looking for information regarding installing and running Xubuntu on a Playstation 3.

I'd like to know how well(or how bad) it works in practice, the best and easiest way to get it installed and working, anything special I will need to do to make the PS3's wireless card work in the Xubuntu installation, and any other tips/tricks/advice. Also, is Ubuntu on PS3 still being actively supported by the Ubuntu community, for people who don't have the newest PS3(which does not allow Linux Installs) and still use the older ones?

The plan, in theory, is to install Xubuntu on the PS3 and use it as a desktop PC, and give my Laptop to my Wife, so she can have a computer all to herself(and she doesn't always have to bug me about using mine). Of course, this is all Theory.

Basically all I really, truly need from a PC at this point is the ability to get on the web. Once I am on the web, and in my browser, I'm pretty much good, for all intents and purposes. I use GMail, I use Google Docs, and a ton of other web-based apps. I use Twitter, Google Buzz, and stuff like that. I don't really ever use "desktop" programs anymore(unless I absolutely have to). So if it is at all feasible to use the PS3 as a kind of cloud-computing pc when I am not using it for gaming, that'd be awesome.

thank you for reading my entirely-too-long post. any thoughts?

gsmanners
February 26th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Hello. :)

I think the latest version works pretty well although I'm not too familiar with it right at the moment. To download, just go to this page:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/releases/karmic/release/

It's a little out of date, but I think the basic idea is the same as in this documentation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayStation_3

I'm not aware of any problems with wireless. The only issues I've seen are some speed or stuttering issues (probably hard drive related).

yokohama1970
March 4th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I have been using Xubuntu 9.04 on my 40gb PS3 for about a month. For basic web-browsing & e-mail, it is great. I tried Xubuntu 9.10, but it was much slower. So i switched back. Please note that you will not be able to "upgrade" to Karmic 9.10 through the synaptic package manger, that is not the power pc/ibm/ps3 version. All in all, Xubuntu 9.04 works fantastic on my ps3. Previously I was using Ubuntu 8.10 intrepid on my ps3.

Also, I picked up the HP elite wireless keyboard & a Logitech v220 cordless mouse, solid as a rock! Finally found a wireless mouse that works on the arm of my couch or chair. I have been unable to install my Logitech media pro ps3 keyboard/trackpad combo. I use it with my MacBook Pro & Mac Mini (OS X 10.6.2).