PDA

View Full Version : DoS attack on a home network

Ozor Mox
February 26th, 2010, 01:32 AM
So today I was playing some games with a few friends. When one of them was losing, he decided to ping my laptop with very large packets of data at high speed using a bash script. The result was that it ate up all of the bandwidth our router had, and disconnected everyone from the network who was connected wirelessly. Should this have happened? I'd have expected it to slow down the network considerably, but not for the router to completely lose its marbles and disconnect everyone. A few minutes after this script was closed, everyone was eventually able to connect again.

This was all in good humour by the way. Though having said that, if anyone knows how we can severely limit just that one computer's bandwidth on our network I'd love to know! IP addresses are assigned by DHCP, and apparently the MAC address can be changed just with ifconfig, which is weird as I thought it was locked to hardware...

qra0
February 26th, 2010, 01:35 AM
So today I was playing some games with a few friends. When one of them was losing, he decided to ping my laptop with very large packets of data at high speed using a bash script. The result was that it ate up all of the bandwidth our router had, and disconnected everyone from the network who was connected wirelessly. Should this have happened? I'd have expected it to slow down the network considerably, but not for the router to completely lose its marbles and disconnect everyone. A few minutes after this script was closed, everyone was eventually able to connect again.

This was all in good humour by the way. Though having said that, if anyone knows how we can severely limit just that one computer's bandwidth on our network I'd love to know! IP addresses are assigned by DHCP, and apparently the MAC address can be changed just with ifconfig, which is weird as I thought it was locked to hardware...

Always use at least 1 distorting proxy.

dragos240
February 26th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Was it a LAN party?

Ozor Mox
February 26th, 2010, 01:38 AM
Always use at least 1 distorting proxy.

A what now?

Was it a LAN party?

Well, sort of. I guess that we were playing on laptops over wireless probably means not really though, since someone only has to microwave something to really ruin a game :p

qra0
February 26th, 2010, 01:40 AM
A what now?

Nevermind. It doesn't really apply to your situation.

dragos240
February 26th, 2010, 01:40 AM
A what now?

Well, sort of. I guess that we were playing on laptops over wireless probably means not really though, since someone only has to microwave something to really ruin a game :p

Well, LAN doesn't necessarily mean hardwired. It just means local gaming.

Ozor Mox
February 26th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Well, LAN doesn't necessarily mean hardwired. It just means local gaming.

Yeah I know that, it's just that usually a LAN party means a properly organised event where people bring proper powerful desktops, use wired connections and play games that require a decent graphics card. As it was, we used laptops, wireless, and played Hedgewars :D