PDA

View Full Version : Our computer is haunted!

red_Marvin
March 8th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Well, I'm the one using the computer the most in this family, and it's common that
I sit up and surf or code late when everybody else has went to bed. Well, sooner or
later even I need to get some sleep and turn off the computer.
In the morning my parents find the computer running and complain on my sloppiness.
Whatever, I must have clicked log out instead of shut down...
(In the morning it's very much whatever-ish reactions from me zzzzZZ)

But! Now I have witnessed that the computer sometimes just boots up,
-all by itself! --Gasp!-- :-$

One night I turned off the ADSL modem and the computer was still turned of in the morning.
(one night though so it holds no statistical value... hmmm then, why am I telling you...)

On other computers I've seen the BIOS option "wake up on LAN" and such, but
this only has "Wake up on PME#" enabled, which a google search revealed was about the same thing.
This in combination with the fact that we have an alarm central connected to a guard
company through the phone line might have something to do with it...
...Oh well I guess I'll have to ditch the theory about little green men...

...Or what do you think?

OffHand
March 8th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they arn't watching you ;) :)

Lord Illidan
March 8th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Sit down by your computer all night, with some coffee, and a rifle. If possible, get a loaded rocket launcher (or bazooka).

If little green men come, shoot them to bits. If you see that the modem lights are blinking, blow it to bits. If you see that your computer is switching on, blow it to bits. If nothing happens -> blow yourself to bits.

rfruth
March 8th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Duck Cheney wold like that ... actually just *unplug* the computer from the wall at the end of the day :rolleyes:

Jedeye
March 8th, 2006, 11:33 PM
its becoming self aware... it feels no pain, it has no remorse you can't stop it!

Lord Illidan
March 8th, 2006, 11:35 PM
its becoming self aware... it feels no pain, it has no remorse you can't stop it!

You can. Pull the plug. Show it who is master. I can feel the anger in you, my apprentice. The dark side is stroooooooong in you, indeed.

Jedeye
March 8th, 2006, 11:39 PM
You can. Pull the plug. Show it who is master. I can feel the anger in you, my apprentice. The dark side is stroooooooong in you, indeed.
lol

Kernel Sanders
March 8th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Make and wear a tin foil hat or your screwed! :mrgreen:

Lord Illidan
March 8th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Make and wear a tin foil hat or your screwed! :mrgreen:

And get that lightsaber. Also, invest in that turbolaser you always meant to put in your garden. And you might want to roll that X-Wing out of the garage, too. If you find that things get too fierce, I can come and give you a hand. My Star Destroyer can handle warp speed >9

bonzodog
March 8th, 2006, 11:52 PM
lol...
Seriously though, it sounds like a wake-on-lan type signal is being sent to the PC, and that you aren't switching off, but suspending the computer at night. You might find it does no harm to just leave it on, and make sure all vital ports are closed like SSH, FTP, etc. Computers use very little power if left on, and the most modern PC's have power controls available. My system turns the HDD off after an hour, and I always just switch the monitor off. It also turns off the CPU fan , and as I have cool'n'quiet AND powernowd available, my PC consumes lightbulb levels of power at night.

Lord Illidan
March 8th, 2006, 11:54 PM
You could always disable that wake up feature in the BIOS.

Alpha_toxic
March 9th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Have you noticed some power failures lately? Some computers also have "turn_on_if _powered" feature. Mine has it. So if the power goes down for a second, it might turn it self on.