PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Alt + F2 dialog package

silent_n0va
February 25th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Which package is the Alt + F2 run dialog in? I have GNOME on Gentoo and the key combination doesn't work...using gnome-do in its place.

mcduck
February 25th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Which package is the Alt + F2 run dialog in? I have GNOME on Gentoo and the key combination doesn't work...using gnome-do in its place.

It's a feature provided by the gnome-panel. (I have no idea what's the actual package that includes the panel, though).

zlatkart
February 25th, 2010, 10:27 PM
It's a feature provided by the gnome-panel. (I have no idea what's the actual package that includes the panel, though).

I'm quite sure that it's metacity. I'm running openbox with gnome-panel and I don't have ALT+F2

mcduck
February 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM
I'm quite sure that it's metacity. I'm running openbox with gnome-panel and I don't have ALT+F2

no, it definitely is Gnome-panel. If you replace Metacity in Gnome with anything else (for example with Compiz, like so many Ubuntu user's do) the Run dialog still works, but if you kill the panel the dialog stops working.

The dialog used to be a separate program, started by running "gnome-run", but it was integrated into gnome-panel in Gnome 2.6.

If the shortcut isn't working for you you are probably missing the Gnome component that handles keyboard shortcuts, or the relevant gconf key isn't set or something.

edit: This will probably help you: http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:GNOME/Openbox

<keybind key="A-F2">
<action name="execute"><execute>gnome-panel-control --run-dialog</execute></action>
</keybind>

zlatkart
February 25th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Cool
Thank you. But strange as I think that killing Metacity always killed ALT+F2 (as far as I remeber). Anyway...

silent_n0va
February 26th, 2010, 02:41 AM
I have Metacity and gnome-panel both on Gentoo, though it's running Compiz currently. Strange that the run dialog wouldn't work with Compiz as it works brilliantly in Ubuntu, but I will check on my key bindings tonight.

m_duck
February 26th, 2010, 02:54 AM
If Compiz is running, I believe there is a "Gnome Compatibility" plugin (or similar) which must be enabled to allow Alt+F2 and some other bits to work again. Having said that, if it wasn't working before Compiz was enabled, this may not be the case.

silent_n0va
February 26th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Gnome compatibility was turned off. Turned it on and now the dialog runs. ^_^