PDA

View Full Version : stuck with windows

sn0m
February 25th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I'm staying in doctor's accommodation for a few days and was given access to the building network using Ethernet cable.
It is funny that I can only use windows to connect to internet. If I plug the cable in ubuntu, it connects to network but blocks me from connecting to internet.
Can they really firewall me if I use linux, how on earth and why do they do that....
So I'm stuck with windows for today ( my last day in here )
Ta
Sokol

dragos240
February 25th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Weird. I bet you there is a way around it.

KiwiNZ
February 25th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Talk to the owners of the network. Remember , their network , their rules.

Giant Speck
February 25th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Talk to the owners of the network. Remember , their network , their rules.

But Kiwi, blocking the use of Linux is a violation of his human rights!

I bet the hospital was paid off by Microsoft. Damn $hills!

KiwiNZ
February 25th, 2010, 09:04 PM

May their Chickens turn into Emu's
And kick their toilets to pieces.:p

fatcrab
February 25th, 2010, 09:12 PM
May their Chickens turn into Emu's
And kick their toilets to pieces.:p

Emu's do that?

CharlesA
February 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM

That just made me afternoon. :D

Kai69
February 25th, 2010, 09:18 PM
I see your in the UK I had this with a hotel when I tried to connect it wouldnt let me found out I had to pay to use the internet £5.00 for an hour so went up the road and brought a 3 dongle and was on the net for £10.00 lasted a month .

spiridow
February 25th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I'm staying in doctor's accommodation for a few days and was given access to the building network using Ethernet cable.
It is funny that I can only use windows to connect to internet. If I plug the cable in ubuntu, it connects to network but blocks me from connecting to internet.
Can they really firewall me if I use linux, how on earth and why do they do that....
So I'm stuck with windows for today ( my last day in here )
Ta
Sokol

Did you try to ping google.com and check that you receive packets? Sometimes it's just a small change in your web browser that is needed. If you're using firefox, type about:config in the address bar and set the value network.dns.disableIPv6 to true, and try again.

chillicampari
February 25th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I see your in the UK I had this with a hotel when I tried to connect it wouldnt let me found out I had to pay to use the internet £5.00 for an hour so went up the road and brought a 3 dongle and was on the net for £10.00 lasted a month .

Not sure at all how this applies to the OP's situation, but that's cool to know.

To the OP, sounds like you're almost out of there. Good to hear and wishing you a speedy recovery!

undecim
February 25th, 2010, 09:57 PM
Does the windows computer maybe have a special configuration to use that internet connection, or is it your own computer? At my HS, I had to set up the proxy server in firefox to be able to use the internet. Maybe something similar is happening here?

Post Monkeh
February 25th, 2010, 10:10 PM
i don't really see how they would want to stop you using linux to connect to the internet.
i'd suspect it was something to do with your settings.

lz1dsb
February 26th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Does the windows computer maybe have a special configuration to use that internet connection, or is it your own computer? At my HS, I had to set up the proxy server in firefox to be able to use the internet. Maybe something similar is happening here?
I believe you should research on what undecim mentioned above... Check what configurations you get when you're using Windows, it really might be a proxy configuration that's needed. Also did you check your network connectivity while running Ubuntu (ping to the gateway, check if you get response from the DNS, etc.)? Wireshark is a pretty viable option if you really would like to dig into the problem.

Cheers,
Boyan