PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Image restore Grub rescue command line Help!

frisbeeguitar
February 25th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Please Help!

I do computer forensics here in Afghanistan and I am trying to keep a clean image of a dual bootable hard drive. Here is what I try to do...

1. Boot into UbuntuLiveCD
2. I run "sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda conv=sync,notrunc bs=64K" to wipe the drive with all zeros.
3. I then install Windows by creating a new partician about 50GB.
4. I then install Linux by creating a partician in ext4 mounting it at '/' in addition I create a swap partician.
5. Next configure everything just the way I want it. I install all the drivers and software I need for my windows partician and build out the remaining part of the disc as a "data drive."
6. Then I use "dd" again to try to image my "clean slate" of a system. Remember I am dual booting. I dd the /dev/sda and gzip it.
7. When I go to restore it, I boot from the live CD again and unzip ig and "dd" it back onto /dev/sda.
8. I run fdisk -l and I get:
/dev/sda1 * 1 6375 5120000000 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 6376 11724 42965842+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 11725 12453 ...... 82 Linux swap / Solaris
This means to me that it can "understand the file system"
9. But then when I take out the Live boot CD and try to get my "clean slate" machine back, the system goes into Grub Rescue mode with a grub command line "grub rescue>"
10. I tried using the tutorial on Grub2, but...
a. It would not understand the command "linux"
b. When I try to do insmod, it says it doesn't recognize the file system.

Please help!

Here is one tidbit of information that may be of some value... when I restore the image and then still in the Liveboot, when I try to mount either the NTFS or the Linux particians, I get errors.

The error I get when trying to mount the linux (Ubuntu 9.10) partician is:
sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sda2 /media/drive
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda2,
missing codepage or helper program or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog -try
dmesg | tail or so

Thank you!

ImTheBatman
February 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM
the word "partition" is spelled with "tion", not with "cian"

Scottydoesntknow
February 27th, 2010, 06:08 AM
the word "partition" is spelled with "tion", not with "cian"

Your post contributes absolutely nothing to solving the OP's problem.
Congratulations on perpetuating the Linux snob stigma.

louieb
February 27th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Sounds like you did things right. Something got screwed up. Take a look.

Get the Boot Info Script: SourceForge.net: (http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/) and
put your results.txt in your next post

frisbeeguitar
March 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
All,

I was able to fix it. What appears to be the problem was that when I was using the "dd" command, I used a block size of 64K per reccomendations from some website.

http://www.linuxweblog.com/blogs/sandip/20050211/image-your-hard-drive-using-dd

Instead I used a bock size of 512 and it appears to have worked! System restored!

Louieb, before I did that I tried the script and it was very helpful! Thanks for your help!

ImThBatman, thank you for correcting my spelling.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow, thanks for sticking it to the Bat! :) But I am guessing you are unwilling to try linux? You should try it! I'll bet you are really good at Windows and computers overall, just a little timid to step into new waters...

:KS

P.S. Ubuntu Forums rocks!