PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 server with no video card?

DarkAmeba
February 25th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Hello all.

have a fairly basic question which I have been totally unable to find an answer to. Hopefully someone can help.

I've been messing around with my mythbackend setup. The box also serves as a samba / nfs box for my home network. The box is fine, but it has an older pcie video card which is eating like 30 useless watts as the box is headless. The motherboard has no onboard video. Can I just pull the video card and go?

I have done a bunch of research. My motherboard boots fine with no video card installed w/ the correct bios settings. I know that I need X to run myth setup, so I will need some sort of X emulation.

It seems that xvfb is a possible answer, but people seem to prefer FreeNX. Problem is all of the info I have found deals with creating new X sessions for these solutions on systems which have a physical gpu.

What I need to know before I take down my network for an extended period to implement xvfb or FreeNX:

Will these solutions work when there is no physical video card installed at all?

Thanks! :D

DarkAmeba
February 26th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Anyone?? :popcorn:

Krupski
February 26th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hello all.

have a fairly basic question which I have been totally unable to find an answer to. Hopefully someone can help.

I've been messing around with my mythbackend setup. The box also serves as a samba / nfs box for my home network. The box is fine, but it has an older pcie video card which is eating like 30 useless watts as the box is headless. The motherboard has no onboard video. Can I just pull the video card and go?

I have done a bunch of research. My motherboard boots fine with no video card installed w/ the correct bios settings. I know that I need X to run myth setup, so I will need some sort of X emulation.

It seems that xvfb is a possible answer, but people seem to prefer FreeNX. Problem is all of the info I have found deals with creating new X sessions for these solutions on systems which have a physical gpu.

What I need to know before I take down my network for an extended period to implement xvfb or FreeNX:

Will these solutions work when there is no physical video card installed at all?

Thanks! :D

I run Ubuntu server 64 bit with no video, no sound, no keyboard... just a power cord and a network cable. It works just fine.

To work on the server, I just SSH into it.

Hope this answers your question.

(edit to add): I did have a cheap-o PCIe video card installed in the server only for setup purposes. When I was done, I simply removed it. The server worked fine and didn't complain at all.

-- Roger

pirateghost
February 26th, 2010, 09:02 PM
i think it depends on the motherboard/BIOS. Some motherboards/BIOS will not allow the machine to get past the BOOT Post screen without video output capability. try it and see. worst case scenario is that it doesnt boot.

Jive Turkey
February 26th, 2010, 10:51 PM
It sounds like your bios will tolerate not having a card so go ahead and pull it and try x11 forwarding over ssh to see what happens. If it works there is a pretty good chance that freenx will work too.

mdimock
February 26th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Doesn't a video card come as hardware:-k.