PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Eee PC 1201n and 9.10, how is it?

demonic_bunny
February 25th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Hi. Im new to Ubuntu and Linux as a whole, and I'm looking for a low cost, ultraportable machine to run Ubuntu. Right now I've narrowed my search down to either the Dell Vostro v13, or the Asus Eee PC 1201n. The Vostro comes with Ubuntu preinstalled, but the ASUS comes with Windows, so I'd have to install it myself. I dont know much about Linux, so if I ran into some incompatibilities, I wouldnt know how to troubleshoot them.

Has anyone installed 9.10 on the 1201n? I've seen some things about older versions having wifi difficulty.

Of course, if there's another laptop under $500 that you;re using and think trumps both of my picks, feel free to share
Thanks

mörgæs
February 26th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I don't know the 1201n, but here is a report from another Asus EEE:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1415671

Frudo
February 26th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Hello there , i also started new on linux , but have used and sold 2 of the machines u mentioned ,
vostro and asus has both pro's nd con's, most run on atom 1.6ghz cpu (more then enough for basic computing + smooth run of ubuntu )limited by microsoft , max 2 gb ram , 120 or 160 max hdd supported i personally was not getting the functionality on netbooks especially with un-ergonomic keyboards , + having a base X2 AMD athome bought myself a new Samsung NC10 , xp preinstalled , partitioned and installed ubuntu for dual boot. Since then i really am happy esp. after changing standart 6cell battery to 9 cell , 1 charge 9.5 hrs :) brilliant. % 90 keyboard size. was 300£ when i bought mine but can find it on sale for about 230£ at play.com
Coming 2 ur quest, it will not be a problem , ubuntu is pretty straight forward ,and if u google a bit there are really good follow-trough's on the net.
hope that helps, frudo

demonic_bunny
February 26th, 2010, 05:29 AM
Hello there , i also started new on linux , but have used and sold 2 of the machines u mentioned ,
vostro and asus has both pro's nd con's, most run on atom 1.6ghz cpu (more then enough for basic computing + smooth run of ubuntu )limited by microsoft , max 2 gb ram , 120 or 160 max hdd supported i personally was not getting the functionality on netbooks especially with un-ergonomic keyboards , + having a base X2 AMD athome bought myself a new Samsung NC10 , xp preinstalled , partitioned and installed ubuntu for dual boot. Since then i really am happy esp. after changing standart 6cell battery to 9 cell , 1 charge 9.5 hrs :) brilliant. % 90 keyboard size. was 300£ when i bought mine but can find it on sale for about 230£ at play.com
Coming 2 ur quest, it will not be a problem , ubuntu is pretty straight forward ,and if u google a bit there are really good follow-trough's on the net.
hope that helps, frudo

Well neither of them run the Atom N270. The Asus has an N33o dual core Atom with Ion, and the Vostro v13 isnt even a netbook, its an ultraportable thats only 0.65 in thin, with an aluminum chassis anda ULV Celeron CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220660

http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/notebooks/vostro-v13/pd.aspx?refid=vostro-v13&s=bsd&cs=04&~ck=mn (looking at the Linux base model)