PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What Will Happen If I Install Everything In Synaptic?

AlexanderDGreat
February 25th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Hi, I'm thinking, what if I install everything in Synaptic, will it make my Ubuntu machine less of the problems everyone's having? How big of a disk space do I need?

PS I think Windows machines do this that's why their install is so big. I also heard of an Ubuntu Ultimate Edition.

tgalati4
February 25th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Time stops.

2hot6ft2
February 25th, 2010, 03:39 PM
First you can't install "everything" that is in synaptic for the simple reason that there would be conflicts. For example you can't have both wicd and network-manager installed at the same time. Graphics drivers would be another example.

As for the size of the repos. I think it's only something like 50 or 60 gigs. I'm only making that assumption because others have talked about putting the repos. on dvd's. Keeping in mind that the repos. when installed would expand to who knows what.

Ultimate edition is what I use and it has a whole lot of things installed by default. Some of which goes unused but it does offer things that are not available in the standard ubuntu like TheeMahns nautilus scripts. And a gamers edition. You can find more it it here:
http://ultimateedition.info/
and their forum here:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/

AlexanderDGreat
February 26th, 2010, 01:57 AM
@2hot6ft2 - wow thank you for clearing things up in my head, as you can see I'm a newbie. Oh by the way, I like those links in your signature, I will go now and do them, specially the ssh and ddwrt thing. Thanks.

2hot6ft2
February 26th, 2010, 02:02 AM
@2hot6ft2 - wow thank you for clearing things up in my head, as you can see I'm a newbie. Oh by the way, I like those links in your signature, I will go now and do them, specially the ssh and ddwrt thing. Thanks.
You're welcome. The setup is real sweet. If you find any errors or anything I left out let me know. I believe it's real complete but I did just think of a correction to make to one spot. It was under the SSH keys and since I fixed the wiki to make the instructions more clear I had to fix the guide too, all done.

AlexanderDGreat
February 26th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Great will let you know and comment on that page. :)