PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] To Server or not to Server / Samba

speaktek
February 25th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Newbie here.

I'm looking to setup a Ubuntu file server. I have Server 9.10 running, but it's been a bit of a struggle integrating with ADS...but I'm close. (Windows Server 2003 R2)

I'm wondering if going with Unbuntu client instead would make sense...at lease there's some GUI benefits there? I'm just looking to create a NAS that can be managed through Windows as far as security in concerned.

Thanks...any advice appreciated!

;-)

willowave
March 12th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I'm not much help because I am trying to do the same thing. I am wondering if you have gotten very far on your "project"? I have Samba working properly...but for some reason my drives won't mount. Even tho they were mounted when I started the whole process. If you have found any other advice/info that might help me out on setting up the file server I'd love to know.
Thanks!

speaktek
March 13th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Not yet. I'm trying openfiler now...and no luck there either!

It can't be this hard...?

;-)

willowave
March 13th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I posted on linuxquestions.org too, I'll let you know if I have any luck there : )
Edit: I did find this website which helped me get Samba set up I just am having a problem getting some USB drives mounted is all. I don't need to worry about AD. It was years ago that I went to school for that so I don't remember much.
Heres the link: http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu-home-fileserver