PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lexmark Interpret S405 printer on Karmic

slonepaul
February 25th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I recently bought a Lexmark Interpret S405 printer, and the box says that it's compatible with ubuntu. I downloaded the lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.rpm.sh, which begins installation but gives the error message The installer package is not supported by your native packaging system. The installer will exit. I also downloaded the Linux_S305_E.sh, which doesn't even begin installation. PLEASE HELP, I have two brand new Lexmark printers, (the other being an X5630) and they both refuse to install :(:(:(:(:(:confused: or i just have no idea how to install them.

slonepaul
February 25th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Ubuntu 9.10 running on my Acer Travelmate 6492 laptop. I also tried it on my desktop computer, which is running Ubuntu 9.04 Ultimate Edition, to no avail

nathan726
March 1st, 2010, 08:58 AM
The file you downloaded is a "rpm" version, but Ubuntu requires the "deb" (debian/ubuntu) version.
Unfortunately Lexmark haven't created a debian/ubuntu version yet.
You could convert the rpm package to deb using Alien (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RPM/AlienHowto), but I can't guarantee that it'll work...

Open the terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal)

Change directory to location of the Lexmark driver you downloaded, eg:

cd /home/user/

Dump the contents of the .sh file:

./lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.rpm.sh --noexec --target lexmark_install

Change directory to lexmark_install folder:

cd lexmark_install

Extract the "instarchive_all" file (it may have a different name):

tar -xvvf instarchive_all --lzma

Inside instarchive_all folder you should find the .rpm file.

Now you need to install alien:

sudo apt-get install alien dpkg-dev debhelper build-essential

Convert the rpm to deb

sudo alien lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.rpm

Install the deb

sudo dpkg -i lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb

Plug in your printer and see if it works!

xkahn
March 9th, 2010, 03:34 AM
The file you downloaded is a "rpm" version, but Ubuntu requires the "deb" (debian/ubuntu) version.
Unfortunately Lexmark haven't created a debian/ubuntu version yet.
You could convert the rpm package to deb using Alien (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RPM/AlienHowto), but I can't guarantee that it'll work...

...snip...

sudo alien lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.rpmInstall the deb

sudo dpkg -i lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.debPlug in your printer and see if it works!

Err.. No, it won't work. The alien command above isn't complete enough. Here are the steps:

Download the driver lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.rpm.sh (http://www.downloaddelivery.com/downloads/cpd/lexmark_inkjet_09_driver_1.0_1.i386.rpm.sh.tar.gz)
Uncompress it:
tar xfz lexmark_inkjet_09_driver_1.0_1.i386.rpm.sh.tar.gz
Run the script:
./lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.rpm.sh --noexec --target lexmark_install
Change to the new directory:
cd lexmark_install
Install lzma and other needed packages:
sudo apt-get install lzma alien dpkg-dev debhelper build-essential
Rename the archive to something sane:
mv instarchive_all instarchive_all.tar.lzma
Uncompress:
lzma -df instarchive_all.tar.lzma
Unarchive:
mkdir instarchive_all; cd instarchive_all; tar xf ../instarchive_all.tar
Convert to debs (with scripts!)
sudo alien --scripts lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.0-1.i386.rpm
Install:
sudo dpkg -i lexmark-inkjet-09-driver_1.0-2_i386.deb
Now we install the built in JRE:
cd /usr/lexinkjet; sudo ~/lexmark_install/instarchive_all/jre-6u12-linux-i586.bin
And, rename the directory:
sudo mv jre1.6.0_12 jre
And restart udev:
sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart
And cups, just in case:
sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

There! That ought to do it. The printer control panel is in System -> Administration -> Lexmark Printer Toolbox. Both local and network printing should work. Local computer initiated scanning should work too. Enjoy!

lefty_lou
March 20th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Or go here and get the .Deb ones

http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=content&id=DR4255&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&userlocale=EN_US&segment=DOWNLOAD&productCode=LEXMARK_INTERPRET_S405&searchid=1269116506704

Easier ;)

Enjoy

Is the same ones by the way but already in deb files you just have to put ubuntu on the search on the middle right hand side on lexmark page after you put in the model to get them.

For some odd reason they don't show under linux go figure :-k

j4ck455
April 3rd, 2010, 07:55 PM
That .deb barfs on AMD64, seems only i386 is supported by Lexmark.

davidmohammed
April 3rd, 2010, 10:51 PM
the following is copied from phoronix.com (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=lexmark_linux&num=4)

Prerequisite packages: ia32-libs, openjdk-6-jre

1. Get the latest driver
2. Untar driver
3. run in terminal "./lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.5.i386.deb.sh --noexec --target lexmark"
4. a "lexmark" (from --target) directory was created, "cd lexmark"
5. run in terminal "tar xvf instarchive_all --lzma"
6. run in terminal "dpkg -i --force-all lexmark-inkjet-09-driver-1.5-1.i386.deb"

suggest have a read of the phoronix article to see if it helps you.

drasticbrisk
April 20th, 2010, 05:49 AM
I downloaded the driver update for ubuntu from the Lexmark website and when going through the setup it asks for an administrator password. I put in the password that I log in with but it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

kwanseum
May 8th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I downloaded the driver update for ubuntu from the Lexmark website and when going through the setup it asks for an administrator password. I put in the password that I log in with but it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

It is because you have not set a root password but you can do that easily. Type in the following in the shell:

sudo passwd

After that you are asked to type in the new root password twice. Finally, your root user has its own password and you will need this to install the software.

I hope this helps, Kwanseum

Trinity1976
July 25th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I bought this printer today and followed the steps described by xkhan. Seems to print fine but when I try to open XSane to scan I get the following:

Failed to open device 'Lexmark_1_0_0:libusb/001/002': Device busyAny ideas, anyone?

Never mind. Have rebooted machine and it works now!

danflash
November 24th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Steps worked perfectly for me.

Thank you.

jasonfriedman80238
April 5th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I found this page helpful:
http://support.lexmark.com/index?page=productSelection&userlocale=EN_US&locale=EN
I selected my printer and was directed to a page of downloads, including .deb.

xwang
September 17th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hi to all,
I would like to buy this printer, but I want to know if it works perfectly (both printing and scanning with and without the ADF) when connected only via the wifi connection.
Alternatively adding 30€ I can buy a Brother MCF J430W printer.
Which is the best?
Thank you,
Xwang