PDA

View Full Version : new News on the open source Battle

revleo
February 25th, 2010, 05:31 AM
hello all i do not usually post but this one is scary it seems that a group of lobbyist is trying and end run around to try and outlaw opensource software link provided http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/feb/23/opensource-intellectual-property

it seems that apparently open source software is a threat to capitalism we should all be prepared to take this to our legislators to let them know that we will not stand by and let them take away our intellectual freedom away by outlawing open source software in our names just my own opinion but it bears hearing careful a witch hunt is starting again

Linuxforall
February 25th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Yep they are gonna punish two of the fastest growing economies on Earth ie China and India........roftl.

nrs
February 25th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I think it's something to be very concerned about. Underestimating lobbyists / legislators is how we wound up with the DMCA. A lot of people buried their heads in the sand and look what happened.

hobo14
February 25th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Not a huge surprise: MS stands to gain most from a push like this being successful, and they are a member of BSA, which is a member of IIPA.

WinterMadness
February 25th, 2010, 08:22 AM
from now on we should be obligated to hand rich people our money. How dare we make them risk not having more than others. Damnit, theyre rich and they need to stay rich.

Linuxforall
February 25th, 2010, 08:28 AM
But I thought Linux has a measly 1% share alltoghether so what are they worried about.

ssj6akshat
February 25th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Yep they are gonna punish two of the fastest growing economies on Earth ie China and India........roftl.
OMG i live in India.
I have an Idea Lets Revolt.
Who is coming with me to set fire to their office...Oh **** i have no money to fly,Double **** i don't know where their office Is.

ssj6akshat
February 25th, 2010, 08:53 AM
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=whitehouse.gov&probe=1

They should put themselves there first

Linuxforall
February 25th, 2010, 09:23 AM
http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?site=whitehouse.gov&probe=1

They should put themselves there first

Good find, heal thyself first. :D

Sporkman
February 25th, 2010, 03:02 PM
How many times is this going to get posted?? Lol.

Linuxforall
February 25th, 2010, 03:03 PM
The open source software is a threat to capitalism because the judge at the M$'s antitrust case should have done more than only laugh when he heard the pathetic Gates's answers in the court. If at that time M$ were fairly condemned we will not be assisting today at cases like the Amazon dirt deal, nor the current global lobby against the FLOS.

You are very right but I am afraid this thread will end up getting closed soon. :(

weichimaster
February 25th, 2010, 03:13 PM
hello all i do not usually post but this one is scary it seems that a group of lobbyist is trying and end run around to try and outlaw opensource software link provided http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2010/feb/23/opensource-intellectual-property

it seems that apparently open source software is a threat to capitalism we should all be prepared to take this to our legislators to let them know that we will not stand by and let them take away our intellectual freedom away by outlawing open source software in our names just my own opinion but it bears hearing careful a witch hunt is starting again

This is not an attempt to outlaw FOSS. It's an attmept to stop governments recommending FOSS - companies, indiviudals and governments would still be free to choose their OS.

This is not desirable, but calling it "outlawing opensource" seems to be overstating it.

WorldTripping
February 25th, 2010, 04:10 PM
$ curl -I "http://www.usa.gov" 2>/dev/null | grep Server

Woolio1
February 25th, 2010, 04:49 PM
This is not an attempt to outlaw FOSS. It's an attmept to stop governments recommending FOSS - companies, indiviudals and governments would still be free to choose their OS.

This is not desirable, but calling it "outlawing opensource" seems to be overstating it.

So we'll still be able to choose our software, the internet will stay up, and life will go on as-is?

Yay. Now stop overhyping, and go back to sitting around, making Conky scripts.

Psumi
February 25th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Not a huge surprise: MS stands to gain most from a push like this being successful, and they are a member of BSA, which is a member of IIPA.

No they don't.

A lot of drivers are open source now to be honest. The ones that aren't are made by stubborn companies.

koshatnik
February 25th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Storm in a teacup.

markbuntu
February 25th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Too much of the government now uses open source and for many applications there is no realistic alternative. A little meeting with MI6 or the NSA and that will be the end of that.

Years ago MS tried to get "freeware" outlawed and actually got the state of Virginia to pass a law doing so. This created so much ridicule of the legislators that they quickly rescinded it.

Open standards are intrinsic to having an open government and even the most jaded legislator would run into big trouble when the schoolkids can't do their research because they are using OLPCs.

The CBC is getting reamed because they use a proprietary format for their radio internet broadcasts that linux users cannot access. There are quite a few school systems in Canada that use linux. MPs are asking questions.

bunburya
February 25th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Outlawing OSS is not going to happen. Point taken about underestimating lobbyists leading to nasty things like the DMCA, but this is not a case of bug business vs lil old you and me. This is some big businesses vs other big businesses, + lots of small businesses, + many governments and local authorities + thousands of independent developers and millions of end users.

Woolio1
February 25th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Outlawing OSS is not going to happen. Point taken about underestimating lobbyists leading to nasty things like the DMCA, but this is not a case of bug business vs lil old you and me. This is some big businesses vs other big businesses, + lots of small businesses, + many governments and local authorities + thousands of independent developers and millions of end users.

And those industry fat cats won't be able to withstand our wrath. Ready the Tux Star, and blow them to smithereens!

Henry Ericson
A slightly insane Market Analyst, Star Wars fanatic, and Open Source Enthusiast.

Zoot7
February 26th, 2010, 01:07 AM
In a way this reaks of conspiracy theory but given the amount of garbage pro-copyright groups are getting up these days I wouldn't be surprized in the least bit.

hobo14
February 26th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Not a huge surprise: MS stands to gain most from a push like this being successful, and they are a member of BSA, which is a member of IIPA.No they don't.

A lot of drivers are open source now to be honest. The ones that aren't are made by stubborn companies.

Sorry, you've lost me. What on earth are you talking about?
We aren't talking about drivers, we're talking about the IIPA pushing goverments away from open source (and therefore, by default, back into MS's sticky embrace)

ssj6akshat
March 6th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Years ago MS tried to get "freeware" outlawed and actually got the state of Virginia to pass a law doing so. This created so much ridicule of the legislators that they quickly rescinded it.

Reliable sources please

gymophett
March 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I have an Idea Lets Revolt.
Who is coming with me to set fire to their office...Oh **** i have no money to fly,Double **** i don't know where their office Is.

I'm with ya buddy! :)

Shpongle
March 6th, 2010, 12:50 PM
these iipa, mafiaa and similar groups are parasites who only care about $$$ , if this did ever happen , windows would wanna make sure it was bulletproof . im sure it would get swarmed with viruses as well as any companies that had a hand in it .

Lightstar
March 6th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Hey careful now, if we think too much we'll be arrested for free will.

Viva
March 6th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Open source/free software is not a threat to capitalism. In fact, it is more capitalistic than proprietary software. rms addresses this issue in Revolution OS.