PDA

View Full Version : How should I pitch Ubuntu to customers?

teKro
February 24th, 2010, 11:35 PM
*If you want to get to the point, scroll down. If you want a bit more background info of what I'm trying to do, start here.

My uncle has a small computer repair and sales shop. The original owner and him used to run it together. My uncle bought it from the owner because the owned was not willing to put in the money and was basically ran by my uncle anyway. Also the owner was kind of a scammer and owed money to people, among other things. Before the owner left, he pretty much took all the good stuff with him. For now, my uncle has been trying to sell refurbished computers but sales haven't been too good. Anyway, I help him out every weekend and kind of have some ideas to help turn the place around. One of the ideas I have is to give people the option to buy their computer with Ubuntu rather than Windows 7. If they would like to buy a computer with Ubuntu, the price would be cut at least $100 dollars since that's roughly how much Windows 7 OEM costs.
---------

*I've only been running Ubuntu for less than a week and haven't had time to play around with it but I want to know at least of few of these things as soon as possible. Basically what I want to know is: What are the things I should know in order to be able to present Ubuntu effectivly to customers (especially the less computer savvy, those who might not be so willing to change from Windows or Mac, or those who may get the impression that Ubuntu is a "generic brand of operating system" just because it is unknown and/or free).

What are some of the benifits that would attract customers?

If you have experiences with both "originals" (Photoshop, Microsoft Word, iTunes, etc.) compared to alternatives (GIMP, OpenOffice, iTunes alternative, etc.), how do the alternatives compare? What were the responses of people that you know?

What have been the experiences of people you know (especially the less computer savvy) in switiching to Ubuntu (especially in updating since I read a few complaints about updating in the testimonial section)?

What are some of the problems that a typical user will encounter so I can learn how to address them?

These are the things I know that I would probably tell the customer:
Ubuntu is an operating system much like Windows and Mac OSX.
You can browse the internet, read your email, listen to music, and watch movies just like in any other computer.
Very light.
Although it does not run many popular Windows and Mac programs, it does have alternatives, many that are free, that do the same tasks.
There are virtually no viruses that affect it.

Any tips in sales and how to run a small business would also be greatly appreciated.
Also, if anyone has expreince in business and could and would be willing to evaluate the rest of my plan, PM me :)

tgalati4
February 24th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Install Ubuntu on a range of computers in your shop and let folks try them. Advertise one or two evenings a month to have a seminar in your shop going over a new distro and how to use linux to do everyday tasks.

Have a burned copy of each major distro at-the-ready to give to customers. Order several copies of each distro (commercially-printed, it will cost some $$) from each each vendor and give those out as well.

Allow your store to be a host for a local Linux User's Group (LUG). That means finding a local group. If you don't have a local group, then create one.

Host a networked gaming event once a month.

Try some marketing in social networks: craigslist and facebook. Over time you will build a name for service and people will come to your shop for answers.

A book I picked up at the SCALE conference: Friends with Benefits (social marketing)

http://nostarch.com/friends_benefits.htm

Include some non-mainstream books like:

http://nostarch.com/catalog.htm

Also, put your store location and information in your signature line. The ubuntuforums.org Code of Conduct prohibit explicit advertising on these forums, but that doesn't prevent you from engaging in these forums and having your business logo and contact info in your profile.

You currently have no avatar picture, so why don't you use your store's logo?

Oh, and welcome to the forums.:D

chucky chuckaluck
February 25th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I've only been running Ubuntu for less than a week

why do you want to pitch it to customers, then? how long have you used windows7 (the customers' likely preference)?

blueshiftoverwatch
February 25th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Have a burned copy of each major distro at-the-ready to give to customers. Order several copies of each distro (commercially-printed, it will cost some $$) from each each vendor and give those out as well.
It'd probably be best to stick with one distro instead of several. If the person likes Linux they'll do their own research and pick one out themselves. Giving them tons of options right off the bat will only confuse them.

Lightstar
February 25th, 2010, 12:22 AM
I agree with some posts above.
Put demos out, some with windows, some with ubuntu. I suggest using Kubuntu along with Ubuntu, only because the interface is more familiar for windows users.

Big plus is the no-virus-on-linux that people always talk about.
Safer, faster, less compatibility with software.

I see people buying Macs, even though they know they'll have a hard time finding anything for it later (games or software)
I don't see why they wouldn't buy a linux PC. Same deal.

fromthehill
February 25th, 2010, 12:30 AM
if you want to sell ubuntu you should be able to give support to your customers
I don't think you can do that when you only used it for a week

aysiu
February 25th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I agree with Chucky Chuckaluck on this one. If you have been using Ubuntu for only a week yourself, I don't think you're in a place yet to be selling Ubuntu-preinstalled computers to customers, because 1) you don't know enough about Ubuntu to tell people the exact pros and cons, and 2) if they run into any Ubuntu problems, they're going to come straight back to you for technical support, which you should be able to give, even if you charge money for it.

Use Ubuntu yourself for at least a year before you start pushing it as an option to your customers. And then I would also use only LTS releases, so they don't have to upgrade that often.

Icehuck
February 25th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I agree with Chucky Chuckaluck on this one. If you have been using Ubuntu for only a week yourself, I don't think you're in a place yet to be selling Ubuntu-preinstalled computers to customers, because 1) you don't know enough about Ubuntu to tell people the exact pros and cons, and 2) if they run into any Ubuntu problems, they're going to come straight back to you for technical support, which you should be able to give, even if you charge money for it.

Use Ubuntu yourself for at least a year before you start pushing it as an option to your customers. And then I would also use only LTS releases, so they don't have to upgrade that often.

I couldn't have said it any better.

fisher8484
February 25th, 2010, 12:37 AM
Personally I don't see any reason why you would want to pitch Ubuntu if you've only been using it for a week. You should at least let the honeymoon phase pass and see the warts before you try to push the OS as an alternative others should consider over what they already know (most likely Windows). At least in this way you won't be blindsided when people come back about issues that inevitably arise with any OS.

Not trying to sound like a troll here, but I found the Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic release to have several stability issues, ran it for two months and after a kernel update in late January the entire OS became unbootable. Hopefully the Lucid Lynx LTS release in a couple months will have fewer problems, but nonetheless the current Ubuntu release can cause serious headaches for a new Linux user who might expect more stability than Windows.

I personally feel that successful conversions to Linux come from somebody having a desire to try something different and seeking it out themselves. If it's forced upon others or sold as some sort of perfect OS, a lot of people will be disappointed. Not a bad idea to at least set up one demo machine with Ubuntu on it so customers can try it with no strings attached so at least they're aware that there is an alternative to Windows out there (too many people believe a computer can't run without Windows because they've never used a computer without it; some people I've met even think Macs use Windows)! Maybe make a nice little chart with popular Microsoft programs in one column and popular programs run natively in Linux that serve the same purpose for most folks.

DennisFolsom
February 25th, 2010, 02:56 AM
If you are willing to put in a good amount of effort in learning, and gaining experience with Ubuntu, you might be ready to start sharing your experiences with others in a few months.

I've only been at it a couple of weeks myself, but I've already learned a lot about networking Ubuntu in a home or small office environment - file and printer sharing, Remote Terminal/VNC, etc. I've been keeping a log/documentation of my activities. I'm using TiddlyWiki for that purpose. In my wiki articles, I like to include links to the resources I found (forums, Community Documentation, etc.) That way, if I need to re-visit some of these issues a year or two down the road, I can retrace my steps and find the information I need. My point in saying this is to suggest that you concentrate on doing all you can with your own Ubuntu system, and keep good notes as you go.

I also have an interest in Java programming. I set up the NetBeans IDE, and have done a few tutorial programs with it. I have started a bit of work and research toward eventually porting and updating an old application I wrote in C++ years ago. Whether it's programming, or developing your business plan, find a project or two to do in your Ubuntu computer. One of the best ways to learn a new system is to really use it for something.

I like the suggestion of having a demo machine with Ubuntu available. I also lean toward dealing with Ubuntu only, and not messing with the other Linux distributions out there. You will be busy enough trying to make yourself into an expert in Ubuntu.

The idea of offering some free classes is a good one as well. That is a good way to get yourself better known in the area.

Good luck in your Ubuntu adventure, and in your business venture.

kmsalex
February 25th, 2010, 03:07 AM
keep in mind that many windows programs can be installed in linux (legualy) with the use of croseover and wine, both ms office and photoshop can be installed and used as normal.

ndefontenay
February 25th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I think not knowing Ubuntu for too long is not an issue.

You can jump start by getting some training yourself.
Check Canonical for their partnership deals.

Installing ubuntu on a machine in your shop is definitely a must do.

As for the forum, just like DELL, there's this forum and you too if you get in head first.

New Hardware can be a problem as ubuntu usually gets ready after things are released rather than before. It's never too long.

Another pro of linux is that much like OSX, you can plug pretty much any camera in it and it's recognized. While you'll probably need a CD for windows and if that CD is lost you're in deep trouble when comes re-installation time (because you got a virus).

As for support, can you negotiate it with a Local User Group provided some incentive? I think their are ways. It's a lot of work to set the machine rolling. Might be scary but not impossible.

Khakilang
February 25th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Show them a few thing. Like the price difference. With Window cost so much $$ and with Linux is free. Show the prices in your shop and also the leaflet. Window is vulnerable to virus and Linux don't. Ask what they use for with the computer. Normal use like surfing the net, some document, some image processing than recommend Linux machine. If they want a sofiscated machine for gaming than it will be Window. Lastly know what is their budget and let them know your after sales service.

detroit/zero
February 25th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Host a networked gaming event once a month.
Hell yeah! Everyone can get together and play Tux Racer and crap their pants because of how awesome it is!

Mahngiel
February 25th, 2010, 05:13 AM
@Topic:

Like a meaty fastball pitched to Barry Bonds.

gsmanners
February 25th, 2010, 05:50 AM
Having a lot of expertise is a good foundation for being able to sell a system. To that end, you should read up:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromWindows

It would also be a good idea to get familiar with your hardware options, as that's going to be touchy issue:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport

fisher8484
February 25th, 2010, 05:51 AM
keep in mind that many windows programs can be installed in linux (legualy) with the use of croseover and wine, both ms office and photoshop can be installed and used as normal.

MS Office and Photoshop have some serious problems running on Wine (and it takes a lot of configuring with Wine to get things like that to work even if they can). Most people don't need every feature MS Office offers (nor do they need Adobe Photoshop CS4's full features either) so they can use Linux native software to do their tasks like OpenOffice.org and GIMP. However, if your living depends on such software, then it's not very easy to just move over to Linux exclusively. Here's what the Wine App Database says:

Office:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=31

Photoshop:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17

Far from working normal and certainly not easier than just installing on Windows (and not much cheaper if you're buying Crossover than just getting a licensed copy of Windows specifically for a few must have Windows Apps).

Wine isn't a perfect substitute for running native Windows software. It works well with a lot of stuff, but if you must use Microsoft software like Office for productivity it's best to run it natively on Windows.

handy
February 25th, 2010, 06:13 AM
The proof is in the pudding.

Like it or lump it.

earthpigg
February 25th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Hell yeah! Everyone can get together and play Tux Racer and crap their pants because of how awesome it is!

why not Urban Terror?

http://www.urbanterror.net/e107_plugins/autogallery/autogallery.php?show=In_Game_Action

phillychease
February 25th, 2010, 07:56 AM
MS Office and Photoshop have some serious problems running on Wine (and it takes a lot of configuring with Wine to get things like that to work even if they can). Most people don't need every feature MS Office offers (nor do they need Adobe Photoshop CS4's full features either) so they can use Linux native software to do their tasks like OpenOffice.org and GIMP. However, if your living depends on such software, then it's not very easy to just move over to Linux exclusively. Here's what the Wine App Database says:

Photoshop:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17

Wine isn't a perfect substitute for running native Windows software. It works well with a lot of stuff, but if you must use Microsoft software like Office for productivity it's best to run it natively on Windows.

Actually, I am running Office under WINE, and I do admit it does have some bugs but like what you said, no one uses all the features of it. Most people like Office because the UI is sleeker and familiar.
Also I am running CS2 under WINE which works perfectly.

teKro
February 25th, 2010, 08:06 AM
First, to address some of the issues about me only been running it for a week and not having enough experience; I am not planning on trying to sell computers running Ubuntu anytime soon. Maybe in a few months. There are some things my uncle and I have to plan and take care of first. By small business I mean small. Currently we are located in a indoor swap meet type thing in a VERY small division of the building. For that reason, some of the suggestions of holding workshops and network gaming events would be impossible at the moment. Additionally, most of the customers we have aren't really the type of people who need to know every single change in the newest release. I'm hoping that we may be able to move in to a bigger one first. We have no official store name or logo which are also things that I plan to get to as soon as my uncle and I have a discussion of what what we want to do.

Anyway, my plan is to offer, not force, Ubuntu on to people. I was thinking of something along the lines of asking what they usually use a computer for, presenting it to them if we believe it's suitable for their necessities, tell them the pros and drawbacks (such as not being able to run many Windows programs etc.), give them a change to try it out on one of the computers that are out for display, answer questions, offer to sell them their computer with Ubuntu instead of Windows if they thing that Ubuntu does what they need it to do, and if they don't like it, they could always return and buy Windows 7 and have us install it. I guess what I'm basically trying to do is get a few people to use Ubuntu, save them some money, and save us money as well by not needing as many Windows 7 licenses.

I will definitely take a look at all those resources you guys posted. Thank you for them.

I've only been at it a couple of weeks myself, but I've already learned a lot about networking Ubuntu in a home or small office environment - file and printer sharing, Remote Terminal/VNC, etc. I've been keeping a log/documentation of my activities. I'm using TiddlyWiki for that purpose. In my wiki articles, I like to include links to the resources I found (forums, Community Documentation, etc.) That way, if I need to re-visit some of these issues a year or two down the road, I can retrace my steps and find the information I need. My point in saying this is to suggest that you concentrate on doing all you can with your own Ubuntu system, and keep good notes as you go.Would you mind sharing your wiki with me so I may use it as a resource?

One of the questions I am most concerned about is how does an "average" and "below average" computer user reacted to Ubuntu in your experience like your parents, grandparents, kids, etc? Did they need help adjusting and how much?

Again, thanks for the resources and suggestions. Keep them coming :)

ndefontenay
February 25th, 2010, 08:26 AM
The never saw a computer in my life" users are the best sample of the population for an ubuntu experience.

They have no experience of something else they don't take windows and other microsoft products for some kind of benchmark, thinking that all things windows should be running on linux.

They don't know what a computer can do for them therefore what linux can do for them will be accepted and nothing more will be asked for.

A gamer or somebody who can't live without say photoshop is going to be a big problem.

For Open Office, even though there's some microsoft format, they have been reversed engineered and usually some format problem when finally working with Microsoft Office. But as opposed to Microsoft Office it can generate pdf files... There are also some portable office tools you can stick on a usb key to use your favorite office suite on any machine and any os at any times.

But for me, as I manage to switch people around me slowly and steadily to linux and open office, we use more and more open format among us and the need for microsoft is diminishing.

Another really cool new feature is the cloud storage system in ubuntu. As a reconstructed family I have 2 step daughters who spend time doing homework at home. They got their homework on the cloud storage system. They access it seemlessly on my machine and when they go back to their dad's home, they can access their work right away from another location on another machine.

I love that.

People using normal ipod will be able to use them and also copy their songs from the ipod to their music folder in a perfectly organized fashion. (windows required to format the ipod before using it again)

But people with touch ipod or iphone won't be able to use it at all

fisher8484
February 25th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Actually, I am running Office under WINE, and I do admit it does have some bugs but like what you said, no one uses all the features of it. Most people like Office because the UI is sleeker and familiar.
Also I am running CS2 under WINE which works perfectly.

How much trouble was it to setup? Just curious because for pure office productivity work like at my last job (and maybe future ones as well) I needed a lot of the features and formats that only work for MS Office. OpenOffice works well enough for me currently on my home computers. If I ever need to go back to MS Office though I'd do it on a Windows partition just so I can keep up with updates and service packs. You can get certain features to work, but what if the feature you need for work doesn't work via Wine?

Photoshop, not my thing (why spend $700 on an app I wouldn't be able to use all the features of?). Looking at Wine's AppDB CS2 is given a silver rating, but as always, YMMV. It's great you got things to work via Wine because I have as well (mostly games) and Wine is good project to support. At the very least though, wouldn't you agree that a blanket statement like "You can run MS Office and Photoshop normally via Wine" to a person considering the switch to Linux may be something that sets people up for unrealistic expectations? Especially if their version of say, CS4 (certainly not something somebody is just going to toss away considering how much it costs and how many people rely on it for their livelihood), doesn't even install on their version of Wine.

Saying something like "It may be possible to get the functionality out of your version of MS Office and Photoshop that you want via Wine, but then again maybe nothing will work, we'll just have to test it and see" would be a more acceptable thing to tell the new Linux user. At least in that case if it doesn't work (or works real bad) they aren't likely to feel disappointed.

lykwydchykyn
February 25th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Here are a few random thoughts for you:

- Education is the key. Most people don't know what Linux is, and fewer know what it can do. Provide opportunities for people to see it, learn about it, and interact with people who use it.

- Education can be a source of income, don't forget. Hold classes, private "computer lessons", sell books, offer consulting, etc.

- Of course, offering that means being educated on it yourself, or hiring someone who is.

- Take a page out of IBM's book and focus on "solutions" rather than systems. For instance, you could offer a "home server" package with various services preconfigured. Or a desktop customized to specific needs, like a children's desktop. Bill it as a sort of "appliance" rather than an open-ended desktop computer.

dearingj
February 25th, 2010, 09:23 AM
You might also consider preinstalling programs such as Firefox or OpenOffice on customers' Windows computers. Just because they don't choose to use Linux doesn't mean they shouldn't get the benefits of open source, and a familiarity with these programs can provide a smoother transition to Linux in the future should they ever decide to try it.

toupeiro
February 25th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Here's a little printout I usually give people new to ubuntu.. Keep in mind that this document is for the faint of heart computer user, who would not adapt to command lines or make/install procedures very well. It also implies that I do not believe in telling a new ubuntu user that if it works in wine, ubuntu supports it. If they can handle what this introduction tells them, they will graduate into those things in good time.

If you find this valuable, feel free to use it.
--------------------------------------------

Hello <Insert_last_name_here> Family!!

I've written this in order to give you a quick introduction to Ubuntu Linux.

Ubuntu is a different Operating System for computers than Mac and Windows. It's very secure, fast, fun, and the best part, absolutely free of cost (no catches, no strings attached.)

The first and most important thing to remember about Ubuntu is that it is not windows or mac OS, and therefore it does not use the same kind of software and drivers that Windows and Mac will use. Almost all of the software (and there is a ton of it) you should need can be found by clicking on Applications and then clicking on Ubuntu Software Center. The available software is broken down by several categories. If you don't quite know what you are looking for, type in something in the search field in the upper right hand corner, and see what comes back. It does require that you are connected to the internet to install this software. Everything you will find there is 100% free of cost and also 100% free of viruses and spyware. In fact, you'll notice that I have not put a virus scanner on Ubuntu. The simple truth is, it really does not need one! If you just can't go without one, there is one available in the ubuntu software center.

The three main menu's of ubuntu are broken down into three sections:

Applications: This is where all of your programs will be installed from the Software center.

Places: This will be a listing of all of your documents, pictures and other folders, as well as any CD's or USB drives you plug into the system. This is very similar to My Computer in Windows.

System: This is where you would go to make various changes to Ubuntu. For example, if you wanted to add a printer, or create a new user account in Ubuntu, this would be the place to go. Ubuntu more than likely already supports your printer, so do not worry about having to find drivers on a CD or a website.

Why does it ask me to enter my password? In order to install new applications, or make changes, in ubuntu, it will generally require you to enter your administrative password to continue. The password its talking about is the same password you use to log into ubuntu.

Shutting down Ubuntu. Is very simple Simply click the power button in the upper right hand corner and tell it what you want to do (shutdown, reboot, hibernate etc etc.)

Instant Messaging: The default Instant messaging program in Ubuntu is called Empathy. Empathy is already installed and ready to be configured. In order to use empathy, right-click on the envelope in the upper right portion of your screen, and select empathy. It will walk you through a guide on adding one or many of your different instant messaging accounts. Empathy supports almost every type of instant messenger out there, but if you don't like empathy, there are other instant messengers available in the Ubuntu Software Center, try another one and see if you like it.

Surf the Web: Firefox is Ubuntu's default web browser, but there are other web browsers to try in the Ubuntu software center. Ubuntu does not have or support Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Wireless Networking? Ubuntu's “Network Manager” icon is just to the right of the Empathy icon by default. A simple mouse click will show you all the available wireless networks around you.

Don't be afraid. There is a lot here, and its all generally easy to use. Take your time, explore, and have fun with it! When in doubt, there are great support forums at http://www.ubuntuforums.org and you can also use google, which works well.

XubuRoxMySox
February 25th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Some distros work better on certain hardware than others. The latest version may not work on an older refurbished machine, but an older one will.

Learn a a few others and offer a wider choice of distros. I've been embarrassed too many times by Ubuntu when using it to introduce newbies. Mepis (http://mepis.org) is my distro of choice for that now, because of it's bedrock Debian Stable base and the absence of experimental Beta stuff (which no beginner should have to deal with). The newest version 8.5 RC-1 runs blazing fast - really surprising in a KDE distro.

I think Xfce is ideal for newbies, too. Linux Mint's Xfce edition is the best Xfce experience I've ever seen. Pro'lly a good choice for the older hardware.

-Robin

MooPi
February 25th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I have supplied computers to what I'm guessing would be your clientele. Not much money and just scraping by. I to deal with a local swap shop and am tech support for them and the many computers that arrive at the shop. My experience says that the more basic the need the better the chances are they will be receptive to Linux. Basic users need to connect to facebook and myspace, IM and email and browse the web. Light office applications for kids in school generally is good as well. Let them know the benefits as well as the limitations of running Linux. It will not in most cases run Windows applications. This is very important that they understand this. Otherwise they will be back in a wink complaining how the game they just bought for Johnny doesn't start. The bad side of suppling Linux to noobs to be frank, is they will lean on you hard when things go belly up. Don't sell it hard , just point out the obvious benefits and let it sell it's self. people that experience chronic virus infestations are also likely converts to Linux.

Mark Phelps
February 25th, 2010, 02:42 PM
My reading of your original post is that you're really asking "How to pitch computers preinstalled with Ubuntu, instead of MS Windows, to customers" Right?

That's different than pitching Ubuntu as an alternative OS.

Essentially, what you're attempting to do is sell them a cheap version of MS Windows, which is OK, as long as:
1) ALL the hardware works properly -- a broken machine is a ripoff, not matter how cheap it is or what OS it uses
2) There's a collection of apps on the box that can do ALL the things they want to do. Again, a cheap machine that fails to do what they want to do is not a bargain.
3) You're willing to provide FREE technical support whenever they need it -- for the life of their machines!

The last is important because, to your customers, it is the Total Cost of Ownership that matters, not just the initial cost.

While a MS Windows box may cost more up front, if it comes preloaded with everything they want, and it continues to work, day in and day out, without needing support, that could be a cheaper solution than a machine that costs less up front but requires periodic support -- for a fee.

So, think about the long-terms costs to YOU and THEM before you jump into providing an ongoing service.

Zlatan
February 25th, 2010, 03:57 PM
If you mean support, you may want to take a look at this (http://www.ubuntu.com/training/certificationcourses)

*If you want to get to the point, scroll down. If you want a bit more background info of what I'm trying to do, start here.

My uncle has a small computer repair and sales shop. The original owner and him used to run it together. My uncle bought it from the owner because the owned was not willing to put in the money and was basically ran by my uncle anyway. Also the owner was kind of a scammer and owed money to people, among other things. Before the owner left, he pretty much took all the good stuff with him. For now, my uncle has been trying to sell refurbished computers but sales haven't been too good. Anyway, I help him out every weekend and kind of have some ideas to help turn the place around. One of the ideas I have is to give people the option to buy their computer with Ubuntu rather than Windows 7. If they would like to buy a computer with Ubuntu, the price would be cut at least $100 dollars since that's roughly how much Windows 7 OEM costs.
---------

*I've only been running Ubuntu for less than a week and haven't had time to play around with it but I want to know at least of few of these things as soon as possible. Basically what I want to know is: What are the things I should know in order to be able to present Ubuntu effectivly to customers (especially the less computer savvy, those who might not be so willing to change from Windows or Mac, or those who may get the impression that Ubuntu is a "generic brand of operating system" just because it is unknown and/or free).

What are some of the benifits that would attract customers?

If you have experiences with both "originals" (Photoshop, Microsoft Word, iTunes, etc.) compared to alternatives (GIMP, OpenOffice, iTunes alternative, etc.), how do the alternatives compare? What were the responses of people that you know?

What have been the experiences of people you know (especially the less computer savvy) in switiching to Ubuntu (especially in updating since I read a few complaints about updating in the testimonial section)?

What are some of the problems that a typical user will encounter so I can learn how to address them?

These are the things I know that I would probably tell the customer:
Ubuntu is an operating system much like Windows and Mac OSX.
You can browse the internet, read your email, listen to music, and watch movies just like in any other computer.
Very light.
Although it does not run many popular Windows and Mac programs, it does have alternatives, many that are free, that do the same tasks.
There are virtually no viruses that affect it.

Any tips in sales and how to run a small business would also be greatly appreciated.
Also, if anyone has expreince in business and could and would be willing to evaluate the rest of my plan, PM me :)

whiskeylover
February 25th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Go to Best Buy and check out their laptops running Windows and see how every laptop in there runs a frontend app that showcases its features. You know, big button and pictures featuring the processor, installed apps, internet connectivity etc.

Make something similar for Ubuntu showcasing its features. Do NOT focus on its Open Source-ness as regular people don't care about it. But you can mention that its free, and hence computers with Ubuntu will be $100 cheaper.

Make sure the showcase is professional and doesn't look like you made it in the Powerpoint 101 class. You can start with Productivity, Internet, Performance and Entertainment in the top level categories. Upon selecting a category, go into details. You get the idea.

Install it on your computer, and let people play with them. Also, give them direct links to the apps mentioned in your showcase.

eriktheblu
February 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Unless you have pre-established hardware compatibility (and I mean out-of-the-box, not a hacked together workaround), I wouldn't try to sell Ubuntu. This means restrict it as an option for new machines, or as a DIY option.

Specialized machines running Ubuntu variants may be a good way to go. Think netbooks (UNR), internet appliances (Xubuntu), kids' computers (Edubuntu), and DVRs (Mythbuntu).

NAS devices are becoming more popular these days. A small machine with Ubuntu server and webmin may sell.

If you aren't able to provide support yourself, find someone who can (either locally or through Canonical)

clanky
February 25th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Based on what you have said I think you need to get a bit more experience before you start trying to sell Linux.

Linux is not the right option for everyone, try and install the various distros on different types of hardware and you will find what works and what doesn't.

I would suggest that you teach yourself a bit more about how to fix things when they break, experiment with installing different set-ups and learn about the major problems that people encounter before you start trying to sell Linux commercially.

DennisFolsom
February 26th, 2010, 01:39 PM
teKro -

Did you see the Private message I sent you?

teKro
February 27th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Here's a little printout I usually give people new to ubuntu.. Keep in mind that this document is for the faint of heart computer user, who would not adapt to command lines or make/install procedures very well. It also implies that I do not believe in telling a new ubuntu user that if it works in wine, ubuntu supports it. If they can handle what this introduction tells them, they will graduate into those things in good time.

If we ever do sell Ubuntu computers I shall remember to include a kind of a quick start guide like this in the box or something.

Some distros work better on certain hardware than others. The latest version may not work on an older refurbished machine, but an older one will.

I had problems with my video (largest resolution i could use was 800 x 600 and there were really visible "waves" on the screen) at first but luckily found a fix on the forums. Are hardware problems always this obvious or is there more to them than video, sound, etc simply not working?

I read the Beginners Guide that's recommended in the forums. I read that flash drives and anything else that is mounted should be unmounted first before being physically disconnected. The guide used an older version of Ubuntu and I was wondering if this still applies to 9.10 and the next LTS. I usually safely remove my drives in Windows but I know a lot of people simply pull them out. Is dismounting still something I should absolutely inform people?

Thanks again for the replies. Definitely getting some good ideas on what I should and shouldn't do.

lykwydchykyn
February 28th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I had problems with my video (largest resolution i could use was 800 x 600 and there were really visible "waves" on the screen) at first but luckily found a fix on the forums. Are hardware problems always this obvious or is there more to them than video, sound, etc simply not working?

They can be pretty tricky sometimes, and sometimes hardware flat-out won't play nice. But I've seen subtle problems like slow or intermittent wireless. And then there's printing, which can be all over the map.

I read the Beginners Guide that's recommended in the forums. I read that flash drives and anything else that is mounted should be unmounted first before being physically disconnected. The guide used an older version of Ubuntu and I was wondering if this still applies to 9.10 and the next LTS. I usually safely remove my drives in Windows but I know a lot of people simply pull them out. Is dismounting still something I should absolutely inform people?

As far as I understand it, both Windows and Ubuntu mount flash drives asynchronously due to their slow write speeds. This means data isn't written to the drive right away, but slowly when the opportunity presents itself. This is why yanking out a drive, especially after copying over big files, messes it up. When you dismount, it forces all the data to write.

I've had drives mess up in both OS's, so I'd make sure to recommend this for whatever system they run.

mörgæs
March 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM
Good luck with the idea. If you can get a hold of a batch of used computers of the same kind (for example a company or a school upgrading their entire environment), I think there is a business model. Maybe you can even get some free advertising in the 'green environment' because you are recycling.

Follow the KISS-principle: Sell a computer with a small installation and forget about Wine and the like. One size fits 90% of your customers.

xpod
March 1st, 2010, 11:15 AM
I`ve not read the whole thread so dont know if this has already been suggested but get some big old *buntu posters made up to stick on your walls and possibly on a board outside the premises themselves.
As well as that, always have an Ubuntu installation or two up & running on your counter for all those potential converts to have a go on while they enquire about the cost of cleaning out the viruses or fixing the BSOD they`ve originally came in to enquire about.

Other than that dont say a word unless asked.

EDIT: Oh and of course, use it for a bit yourself first.

crlang13
March 1st, 2010, 11:24 AM
I skimmed through the thread (haven't read ALL of it). But I have to agree with everyone else - you have to be able to offer support.

Once you're there: have a few demo machines running a Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.

Emphasize CHOICE rather than conversion. I'd give customers side by side comparisons to Windows, both on demo computers as well as on a wall chart or something like that.

You may also consider offering a free trial period sort of deal - they can get a computer with Ubuntu pre-installed and configured for them, and if, at any time, they decide they're not happy with it, they come come back to get Windows installed for only the price of the software.

LintonHanes
March 1st, 2010, 06:13 PM
yes: partnering with canonical

providing KeepassX (working with Keepass-windows) on usb

seriously just plug ipods into ubuntu to see it treating people's media collections with respect!

LOL @ detroit/zero!

sell games that work with linux! (and stock cds of linux-native-games that you can 'sell' for absolutely nothing)

find, make, whatever "video tutorials" for n00bs, that's what your gonna have, n00bs