PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Stop promoting Ubuntu 9.10 it doesn't work

imthenats
February 24th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Every time I've tried to install 9.10, it will not run. I get "Grub - " and it just hangs there. I shouldn't have to deal with that. Why can't I just have a happy install like usual? 9.10 / Grub2 is not stable and it needs fixing. Grub2 sucks. It's in beta and no-one tells you that unless you do some looking. I've tried to fix it, can't. Linux really sucks for me right now.

darkod
February 24th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Do you have only one hdd? Very often with multiple hdds people think grub is on one hdd and it turns out it's on another. You might be booting an older grub which no longer has its config files.

You could also run the boot info script as instructed here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8844901&postcount=4

and the results might be able to pinpoint your problem.

Mark Phelps
February 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM
No distro can guarantee to install clean on every possible PC in the world -- which is one of the bases for providing a LiveCD mode in the first place.

You would have done better NOT trying to force an installation but using the LiveCD mode instead. There may be hardware and/or driver problems -- which you would have detected using the LiveCD mode.

If you boot using the LiveCD mode, and then find out what is NOT working, and post that info here, folks might be able to help you fix the problem.

BTW, slamming a product is NOT the way to get support from a community of volunteers.

VastOne
February 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM
No distro can guarantee to install clean on every possible PC in the world -- which is one of the bases for providing a LiveCD mode in the first place.

You would have done better NOT trying to force an installation but using the LiveCD mode instead. There may be hardware and/or driver problems -- which you would have detected using the LiveCD mode.

If you boot using the LiveCD mode, and then find out what is NOT working, and post that info here, folks might be able to help you fix the problem.

BTW, slamming a product is NOT the way to get support from a community of volunteers.

Very well stated Mr Phelps