PDA

View Full Version : wondering about internet software for linux

yester64
February 24th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hi,
i wonder why linux doesn't enjoy the same kinda variety of internet software you have under windows.
Yes, windows runs on more computer but linux user are usually more nerds and therefore more likely to develop their own software.
Case in point picture downloader. I like to download my images from newsgroups but there is simply no good software around.
I did it awhile with pan which is ok, but i prefer newsbin for which i have a key (purchased a long time ago).
From what i have seen, some better features are in textbased application but i haven't figured out how to install them or getting them to run.
I am pretty sure i am not the only one who is looking for better software. I personally would even donate (i pay for software) or buy linux software.

I wish someone would produce something like (at least in my example) like newsbin and i can buy it. Someone who puts his time in it should also get rewarded.

Luckely i can run newsbin with wine very well. But is that the solution or an exception. I do not understand my message as bashing, more if things may change in the future or maybe never.
But i do not expect to see commercial software appear on linux really, so it is more the small companies or lonely authors of shareware that i am thinking of.

katie-xx
February 24th, 2010, 10:50 PM
There ya go :)

http://www.newsreaders.com/unix/utilities.html

More apps than you could possibly have wished for

Ive never downloaded anything from Usenet in my life but a quick Google seems to throw up a lot of recommendations for pan.

Kate

yester64
February 24th, 2010, 11:39 PM
There ya go :)

http://www.newsreaders.com/unix/utilities.html

More apps than you could possibly have wished for

Ive never downloaded anything from Usenet in my life but a quick Google seems to throw up a lot of recommendations for pan.

Kate

I thank you for the list.
But, and here it comes, most are out of date. Meaning, their development status is outdated or development ceased all together.
That was the sad truth i came to after i searched for awhile. There are some project still going on, but none have the options and features like the one i use.

Anyway, i'll guess i thank the wine team that i can use my old programs.
I checked also awhile ago Gnome Files and its the same. A lot of stuff is not developed anymore and just exists.

katie-xx
February 25th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Sorry to hear that.
How do you find a Usenet server anyhow? My ISP doesnt provide one.

Kate

cariboo
February 25th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Open up synaptic and click the sections button scroll down to Newsgroups(Universe) and check out the packages in that section.

Jeff Anthony
February 25th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Without being more specific about what you're actually looking for I can only offer some suggestion. I haven't had any problem finding ways to do anything here on Ubuntu.

I would suggest using Firefox Add-ons

yester64
February 25th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Sorry to hear that.
How do you find a Usenet server anyhow? My ISP doesnt provide one.

Kate

Here in the US the isp's startet to get rid of that service. Mine, AT&T, doesn't have one either.
You can get them through an external provider. I use currently APN which also offers the newsreader Agent Forte. Prices vary, but are usually around $2-$25 depending on rendition.

http://www.newsgroupservers.net/

http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php (what i use)

yester64
February 25th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I just want to comment quick.
Not that i gave the wrong impression. You can do a lot with Pan.
But since i have a key for newsbin, i use that.
It has features like crosspost check, database, dupecheck etc... features i haven't seen in any program so far.
I am not complaining, i mainly noticed it.

I do download images and other stuff from the usenet and these features are very useful. Of course you can just download everything and sort it out later, but then i can use pan. Although its not so automated really i think.