PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu to make big announcement tomorrow?

go7Ul1ai
February 24th, 2010, 03:49 PM
This sounds very interesting :)

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/ubuntu-to-make-big-announcement.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28Omg!+Ubuntu!%29

kyleabaker
February 24th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I'm hoping they are indeed announcing a new light theme and colors. I'm really tired of the brown/orange and its difficult to produce a theme with a "cool factor" using those colors.

Can't wait!

swoll1980
February 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I'm hoping they are indeed announcing a new light theme and colors. I'm really tired of the brown/orange and its difficult to produce a theme with a "cool factor" using those colors.

Can't wait!

They've been saying this for 2 years now.

RiceMonster
February 24th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Can't wait!

All the releases since 8.10 were supposed to have a slick new theme.

kyleabaker
February 24th, 2010, 04:05 PM
No harm in hoping. ;) I've been changing themes since 7.04, it'd be nice to not have to anymore.

scottuss
February 24th, 2010, 04:31 PM
My 9.10 laptop is still running the default theme, exactly as it was when installed. It's not really that important to me, the fact that it just works is why I use it. Although, I do have to say the brown title bars are a little... ugly... so maybe a fresh new theme might be nice, even for those of us who don't go mad on looks.

I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of years now, so with experience I'll say: I won't hold my breath! ;)

Nickedynick
February 24th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Maybe it's taken that long to get it looking awesome enough to release? :P

Khakilang
February 24th, 2010, 04:42 PM

I just started using Ubuntu only last year. So I haven't get tired of the Theme just yet. But I look forward to new cool stuff they have.:D

sulimir
February 24th, 2010, 04:43 PM
While I have always been underwhelmed by the default scheme of Ubuntu, it certainly is Unique and I hope it remains unique. Other distros may be less user friendly in other ways but they certainly slather on liberal amounts of pretty. Have you seen Fedora or Mandriva lately... nice.

koleoptero
February 24th, 2010, 04:49 PM
I hope whatever it is, is original and not elementary or shiki.

scottuss
February 24th, 2010, 04:53 PM
While I have always been underwhelmed by the default scheme of Ubuntu, it certainly is Unique and I hope it remains unique. Other distros may be less user friendly in other ways but they certainly slather on liberal amounts of pretty. Have you seen Fedora or Mandriva lately... nice.

Hmm, I installed Fedora 12 the other day. Apart from it being blue (my favourite colour), I wouldn't say that it's particularly prettier than Ubuntu.

In fact, one of the MAJOR reasons that I tend to use Ubuntu over any other distro is the fact that Ubuntu's fonts are much smoother. Their Cairo stuff is patched from what I can tell over on the Arch Wiki. Getting fonts as smooth in other distros is more work than I can be bothered with ;)

bunburya
February 24th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Maybe they're going to adopt that awful chihuahua mascot posted in the other thread.

Baneblade
February 24th, 2010, 04:54 PM
None of you change your theme immediately? Admittedly I'm a bit of customisation junky.. but still. If it bothers you, just change it yourself.

koleoptero
February 24th, 2010, 04:55 PM
None of you change your theme immediately? Admittedly I'm a bit of customisation junky.. but still. If it bothers you, just change it yourself.

I'm a customization junkie too (as is evident in all the screenshots threads) but a good default theme gives the OS a nice feeling. It's one of the good things Xubuntu has.

nerdy_kid
February 24th, 2010, 05:00 PM
i think they need to give kubuntu some help.
personally, i strongly dislike the default coloring. Far to much icy cold blue for my taste.

ghostborg
February 24th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Alpha 3 is scheduled for release tomorrow 2/25/10

Simian Man
February 24th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Hmm, I installed Fedora 12 the other day. Apart from it being blue (my favourite colour), I wouldn't say that it's particularly prettier than Ubuntu.
With Fedora 12 they decided to adopt the upstream Gnome Clearlooks theme by default. The old default was Nodoka which is much nicer looking in my opinion. I generally like how Fedora is committed to shipping upstream software as unmolested as possible but this decision saddened me.

i think they need to give kubuntu some help.
personally, i strongly dislike the default coloring. Far to much icy cold blue for my taste.

What they really should do is put together a similar look for every dekstop. That's what most distros do. For example installing the Gnome or KDE versions OpenSuse or Fedora, they'll have the same color scheme and wallpaper.

Nickedynick
February 24th, 2010, 05:36 PM
What they really should do is put together a similar look for every dekstop. That's what most distros do. For example installing the Gnome or KDE versions OpenSuse or Fedora, they'll have the same color scheme and wallpaper.

That's a very good point, I'd not thought of that before. Maybe that's what they are doing - it'd make sense with the talk of the logo, and light grey is neutral to whatever desktop environment you use.

Dragonbite
February 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM
With Fedora 12 they decided to adopt the upstream Gnome Clearlooks theme by default. The old default was Nodoka which is much nicer looking in my opinion. I generally like how Fedora is committed to shipping upstream software as unmolested as possible but this decision saddened me.

so THAT'S what happened! F12 just seemed a little "off" for me but it was nothing I could place my finger on.

a big +1 for that!

I've actually not minded that look of Ubuntu, though 9.10 is probably one of the better looking ones. I like the selection of wallpapers they have and that was all I ended up changing.

sudoer541
February 24th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I read here (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/ubuntu-to-make-big-announcement.html) that ubuntu/canonical will make big announcement tomorrow.
What do you think it will be other than alpha 3 and the music store?

lisati
February 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I usually find anticipated "big announcements" are, for a variety of reasons, really "big disappointements" in disguise. I'll wait and see.

Maheriano
February 24th, 2010, 07:43 PM
10.04 beta?

Enigmapond
February 24th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Probably this...but don't quote me...94% sure though...LOL

MacUntu
February 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM
If ditching brown comes with ditching the colors from the COF then I'm pro brown. :(

rajeev1204
February 24th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Well, looking forward to it. Could be many many things.

Pogeymanz
February 24th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Probably going to be the new theme for 10.04. I heard they are ditching the Human theme.

chucky chuckaluck
February 24th, 2010, 09:48 PM
"closing it's doors for good... everything must go."

Tibuda
February 24th, 2010, 09:50 PM
"closing it's doors for good... everything must go."

:lolflag:

Ewingo401
February 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM
It'll be that they've signed an agreement with MS much like Novell did...I seriously hope I'm wrong.

mjitkop
February 24th, 2010, 10:07 PM

+1

terabyte1
February 24th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Probably cos they're going to announce an announcement on an alpha update for the last beta update and that if we are developing the new code then we are to stop wittering on and get our heads down to the grind-stone and get working again!:D

Regenweald
February 24th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Probably a slight Branding/default look change. Canonical has been doing some heavy work with Dell and other big names, a more "popular" colour scheme may be in order. Whatever. The devs are working hard, and Ubuntu gets better every day.

sudoer541
February 25th, 2010, 12:52 AM
It'll be that they've signed an agreement with MS much like Novell did...I seriously hope I'm wrong.

No, you are not wrong.
Canonical switched from Google search to Yahoo, and Yahoo is merging with Microsoft to go against Google.

I guess they will change their logo and unveil their new theme for 10.04.

SoFl W
February 25th, 2010, 12:58 AM
The article says they are going to change the logo. I just made some desktop artwork with the old logo!

gnomeuser
February 25th, 2010, 01:00 AM
Mark is switching from t-shirts to turtlenecks

handy
February 25th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I think there is a new theme coming, from what I've read elsewhere.

Maybe that's all it is.

Mark loosed his job on the 1st of March (from memory) also.

ctrlmd
February 25th, 2010, 01:28 AM
No, you are not wrong.
Canonical switched from Google search to Yahoo, and Yahoo is merging with Microsoft to go against Google.

I guess they will change their logo and unveil their new theme for 10.04.
:-({|=

Merk42
February 25th, 2010, 02:03 AM
I say there are going to be a lot of disappointed people tomorrow from the hype train of misconceptions.

cariboo
February 25th, 2010, 02:27 AM
He's probably only going to announce the release of Alpha3 on thursday.

mickie.kext
February 25th, 2010, 02:27 AM
No, you are not wrong.

That is not equal to signing Novell-style patent covenant with Microsoft. Canonical-Micrhoo! search deal is just about search. It does not have any exclusive patent licenses or royalties involved, therefore does not undermine Free Sofware. Unlike Novell deal with Microsoft.

I think they will just announce that some company ported its closed software to Ubuntu. Nothing special, I am not holding my breath.

faical117
February 25th, 2010, 02:35 AM
New theme :-) or ?

3rdalbum
February 25th, 2010, 03:43 AM
There is no new logo. Remember, they only just added the Ubuntu logo branding to the backs of the cards in Aisleriot and to the tiles in Mahjongg!

Alpha 3 is due out today/tomorrow and the music store hasn't landed yet (Alpha 3 is the milestone for that). The big announcement will be about this service.

There's also going to be a new theme for Ubuntu that hasn't been announced yet. The theme is known to involve some sort of colour change for Ubuntu which I imagine will alter the branding a little. That's sure to be announced too. Hence the reason why they're trying to sell big bundles of existing merchandise on shop.canonical.com.

There may be one more thing... maybe they've thought up a name for Lucid + 1.

MasterNetra
February 25th, 2010, 04:16 AM
10.04 beta?

We still have Alpha 3 to hit.

sudoer541
February 25th, 2010, 05:51 AM
That is not equal to signing Novell-style patent covenant with Microsoft. Canonical-Micrhoo! search deal is just about search. It does not have any exclusive patent licenses or royalties involved, therefore does not undermine Free Sofware. Unlike Novell deal with Microsoft.

I think they will just announce that some company ported its closed software to Ubuntu. Nothing special, I am not holding my breath.

I doubt it .:(

Sashin
February 25th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Could be lucid+1 info, or announcement regarding the "rapid evolution" in lucid+1, or a change in the ubuntu website, or something new in alpha 3 tomorrow.

socceroos
February 25th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I'm not sure what its going to be, but I'm looking forward to it. Also, for a sneak peek at the Ubuntu Music Store, visit this link:

http://www.7digital.com/stores/default.aspx?shop=34

I'll be interested to see if they update their 'Help' links to include support for Linux/Ubuntu and Rhythmbox. *That* would be cool.

rajeev1204
February 25th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Unreal 3 works on Ubuntu.Valve's source engine works native exclusive with ubuntu :DD

New theme not sure, but lucid now has the humanity icon set which has a black main menu logo,i like it.

But i think the announcement is about some other association with a big company, probably yahoo? Did they officially announce that?

Nickedynick
February 25th, 2010, 11:15 AM
It might have something to do with the proprietary software survey from a while ago.

Or maybe Google Chrome OS is being renamed "Ubuntu Light" due to Canonical devs' heavy input into the project? :P

Swagman
February 25th, 2010, 11:41 AM
If it is a theme change I hope they don't change their apparel.

I just ordered...

Date Ordered: Wednesday 24 February, 2010

Products
------------------------------------------------------
1 x Ubuntu Polo Shirt (Black) - Medium (UBN11012M) = £ 16.50
1 x Ubuntu Beanie Hat - Black (UBN00059) = £ 8.00
1 x Ubuntu Fleece Jacket - Medium (UBN00061M) = £ 25.00
2 x Kubuntu Cap (KUB60001) = £ 7.66
2 x Ubuntu Domed Stickers (pack of 2) (UBN00060) = £ 5.62
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: £ 62.78

In fact... Scratch that.. This is ME we are talking about... Of course they are going to change EVERYTHING !!

socceroos
February 25th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hmm, the site http://isthemusicstorereadyyet.com/ has changed from being "No. (wait for Alpha 3)" to "No. (but it's being beta-tested.)".

Additionally, where visiting http://one.ubuntu.com/music/login gave the message "Music store coming soon!" it now gives "FIXME failed to correctly auth to the music store".

Things are moving. I'm pretty sure this announcment is to do with the Ubuntu One Music Store - everything is lining up and they've been pretty quick to cover up any leaks (can no longer see the Music Store preview from link I posted above).

Keyper7
February 25th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Maybe they will announce "Ubuntu will support mp3 by default".

Yeah, I know, this is legally very hard unless Mark has opened his pockets even more. But it would be a big announcement and would make sense, because if the 7digital rumors are true then new Ubuntu users will find themselves in the odd situation of having a music store to buy songs they can't play by default (or can't play at all depending on their country).

Nickedynick
February 25th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Very good point - I'd not even considered the codec implications! It'd be a great addition to the OS in general, given how many users have vast collections of mp3s.

gnomeuser
February 25th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Maybe they will announce "Ubuntu will support mp3 by default".

Yeah, I know, this is legally very hard unless Mark has opened his pockets even more. But it would be a big announcement and would make sense, because if the 7digital rumors are true then new Ubuntu users will find themselves in the odd situation of having a music store to buy songs they can't play by default (or can't play at all depending on their country).

They still have the option of installing the zero cost (to the user - fluendo pays the license fee for you) Fluendo mp3 plugin, it is even in the repos. No problem.

Merk42
February 25th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I say there are going to be a lot of disappointed people tomorrow from the hype train of misconceptions.

Well I was half right.
Due to the blog post there is no announcement today

Keyper7
February 25th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Due to the blog post there is no announcement today

A link to where you've read that would be nice. :)

dchosenb
February 25th, 2010, 07:01 PM
A link to where you've read that would be nice. :)

I assume the reference is to the edit to this post
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/ubuntu-to-make-big-announcement.html

Keyper7
February 25th, 2010, 07:07 PM

Thanks. I did visit OMG! Ubuntu! to check but was expecting a new
post, it never occurred to be checking the original one for edits.

Merk42
February 25th, 2010, 07:09 PM

Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to.

Kazade
February 25th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Aww man! I missed the edit so I've been waiting patiently all day for an announcement! :(

Mahngiel
February 25th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Well, that was about as climatic as a $30 gentlemen's club purchase ;)

samalex
February 25th, 2010, 07:31 PM

Can't wait!

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of it either. The first thing I do on any new installation is replace the theme with something less 70's then Brown and Orange.

I'll be honest, when Red Hat 8 pushed the Bluecurve theme about 8 years ago I thought it really refreshed the interface and made it MUCH more pleasant to use, IMO anyway. I had been using RH since version 5, so this really brought it up to date in my book. I hope Canonical does something similar with this Light Theme they're talking about adding.

Plus I'd love to hear news on any advances in their Ubuntu One Music Store and any other ventures they're in to. I really think Ubuntu could be the next Apple if they play their cards right... but they need to get their name outside the walls of IT and basement nerds :-D

Sam

sudoer541
February 25th, 2010, 07:41 PM

O...M...G!!!! it says:

Edit: The announcement has been postponed thanks to our big mouths, however it has to be announced by next week because of Lucid's interface freeze. So hold tight kiddies!

Are they referring to me? cuz I was the one who spread the news like crazy!!!!
OMG!!! what a trouble maker!!!

socceroos
February 25th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Yes, sudoer541, it is all your fault. You single-handedly destroyed all the anticipation you created - kind of ironic. :)

Naaaaaaaah, I don't mind. I'll be looking forward to the announcement soon. It doesn't make much sense why they'd postpone any announcement though - I mean, what is that going to achieve?

samh785
February 25th, 2010, 10:16 PM
O...M...G!!!! it says:

Edit: The announcement has been postponed thanks to our big mouths, however it has to be announced by next week because of Lucid's interface freeze. So hold tight kiddies!

Damn... I was looking forward to the announcement all day yesterday... I guess I'll just have to be *sigh* patient.

DeadSuperHero
February 25th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Ugh. Seriously, this was my only motivation to wake up this morning.

Now what am I supposed to do?

Giant Speck
February 25th, 2010, 10:51 PM

Go back to bed?

bunburya
February 25th, 2010, 10:56 PM
O...M...G!!!! it says:

Oh man you broke Linux :(

Keyper7
February 25th, 2010, 11:53 PM

Beat sudoer541 to relieve the stress?

gnomeuser
February 26th, 2010, 12:11 AM
O...M...G!!!! it says:

Just relax, lie down.. take a nap.. we know where you live..

HarshReality
February 26th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Jeez.. now I feel like I used to when waiting for a M.S. service pack :/

neu5eeCh
February 26th, 2010, 01:06 AM

Feh. Just makes Ubuntu look incompetent.

What? Like they put their underwear on backwards?

qra0
February 26th, 2010, 01:08 AM
Feh. Just makes Ubuntu look incompetent.

What? Like they put their underwear on backwards?

Reverse wedgie? :3

Queue29
February 26th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Why the heck do they have to postpone the announcement? So we all forget they were going to announce something, so it'll be a surprise again when they do announce it? What kind of childish crap is this?

chillicampari
February 26th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Why the heck do they have to postpone the announcement? So we all forget they were going to announce something, so it'll be a surprise again when they do announce it? What kind of childish crap is this?

Agreed. If true, it sounds petty.

LinuxFanBoi
February 26th, 2010, 01:42 AM
If they where worried about speculation, why did they bother leaking the fact that there was some kind of terrific news forthcoming! They have to know that speculations no matter how outrageous are going to be abound.

"Tomorrow Canonical is going to be purchased by Microsoft and Linux will be discontinued. Everybody RUN!"

Giant Speck
February 26th, 2010, 01:45 AM
I can't help but feel that the announcement isn't going to be as big as they're hyping it up to be.

Ric_NYC
February 26th, 2010, 01:50 AM
PulseAudio removed?

:D

Tibuda
February 26th, 2010, 01:53 AM
"Tomorrow Canonical is going to be purchased by Microsoft and Linux will be discontinued. Everybody RUN!"

Canonical does not own Linux.

gnomeuser
February 26th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Yes, sudoer541, it is all your fault. You single-handedly destroyed all the anticipation you created - kind of ironic. :)

Naaaaaaaah, I don't mind. I'll be looking forward to the announcement soon. It doesn't make much sense why they'd postpone any announcement though - I mean, what is that going to achieve?

Well, seeing as the only source we have for both the big anouncement and the postponement is omg ubuntu it is technically possible that the tip was bogus or the story was plain made up. It could also be the case that this was something spoken about between friends in assumed confidentiality and ended up being published. That would be a terrible mistake to make as a journalist, bloggers generally aren't journalists though and might not fully grasp that occasionally putting information out there could endanger the employment status of ones friends.

Another option could be that Canonical is concerned about the leak, their employees and contractors are likely bound by confidentiality agreements. In such a case talking to the press is likely a breach of that agreement. Therefore it is of value to them to track it down. Till that happens there is sense in holding back any announcements till the matter has been resolved.

Regardless we can speculate till we are blue in the face, I would advocate just being pleased with what we have. Lucid is doing good, Alpha 3 was just released and we already know of great things to come such as the music store. Let us all have drink, relax and let the good times roll. While you wait, report a bug or simply help out by going over your previously reported bugs and verifying if they are still valid.

LinuxFanBoi
February 26th, 2010, 02:00 AM
Canonical does not own Linux.

I was attempting to be witty. That I was not, makes me a sad panda.

KiwiNZ
February 26th, 2010, 02:03 AM
If they where worried about speculation, why did they bother leaking the fact that there was some kind of terrific news forthcoming! They have to know that speculations no matter how outrageous are going to be abound.

Damm , insider info ;)

bshosey
February 26th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Until I hear proof of otherwise, I think the blog is not accurate.

chillicampari
February 26th, 2010, 02:10 AM
PulseAudio removed?

:D

Haha! That would be fantastic! :p

MacJack
February 26th, 2010, 02:13 AM
I'm holding tight for a different shade of brown.

LinuxFanBoi
February 26th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I heard that

Microsoft has partnered with canonical and pledged to forever release all of their products as FOSS. Bill Gates has taken a vow of poverty, donated all of his worldly possessions, as well as his personal fortune to the Haitian relief effort and is having an open door meeting with Steve Wozniak to open a new church.

Simon17
February 26th, 2010, 02:17 AM

Old news (http://identi.ca/notice/20123142), bro.

chillicampari
February 26th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I'm holding tight for a different shade of brown.

Oh man, now I'm not gonna be able to sleep until the real announcement happens, whenever that is!

LinuxFanBoi
February 26th, 2010, 02:26 AM
Oh man, now I'm not gonna be able to sleep until the real announcement happens, whenever that is!

Canonical is to announce the "Church of Mark Shuttleworth, of everyday saints." We would show you the charter, but you can only read it if your Linux machine can display in 3D and you have the special glasses.

Sorry, cheep shot.

chillicampari
February 26th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Oh. I was kinda pulling for the different shade of brown. Now I'm sort of disappointed.

sudoer541
February 26th, 2010, 02:43 AM
just relax, lie down.. Take a nap.. We know where you live..

beat sudoer541 to relieve the stress?

oh man you broke linux :(

damn... I was looking forward to the announcement all day yesterday... I guess i'll just have to be *sigh* patient.

big lol :)

sudoer541
February 26th, 2010, 02:47 AM
I can't help but feel that the announcement isn't going to be as big as they're hyping it up to be.

I know!!!!:P they will probably announce the music store or the new theme.
If its something bigger than that, then I promise I wont post here for a week! LOL!!!

Ric_NYC
February 26th, 2010, 05:02 AM
BREAKING NEWS!

Ubuntu goin' gray, like the Mac OS way?

A source from inside the Ubuntu team has informed a blogger that there will be an important announcement coming from Canonical regarding a possible rebranding of Ubuntu. A lot of enthusiasts are quick to speculate that the changes will be all about the color schemes used by Ubuntu and that it may go from brown to gray.

http://www.junauza.com/2010/02/ubuntu-goin-gray-like-mac-os-way.html

FuturePilot
February 26th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I guess there is no announcement? :confused:

qra0
February 26th, 2010, 06:44 AM
I guess there is no announcement? :confused:

Apparently Canonical decided to have a tantrum because whoever runs the omg! ubuntu site didn't know when to keep their mouths shut and tried to play journalist.

Andreas1
February 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM
This way of keeping secrets, then making announcements, reminds me of a very successful company from california.

oh my god, i think i know what it is.

http://omploader.org/vM280Yw

kevin11951
February 26th, 2010, 08:25 AM
@Andreas1
I think it would be nice for Ubuntu to become essentially an "Open Source Apple". Basically Apple minus the super closed hardware and software mentality. Now, I haven't really thought this through, so if anyone has an idea of where this could go wrong, I would like to hear it.

Sashin
February 26th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Ubuntu shouldn't be a version of apple, it should be completely unique and original. Its own thing in everyway, its very much possible to be more slick than apple without being like osx.

Zlatan
February 26th, 2010, 08:33 AM
that's not official IMHO so no surprise if there's no announcements

This sounds very interesting :)

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/ubuntu-to-make-big-announcement.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28Omg!+Ubuntu!%29

ctrlmd
February 26th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Good Luck to ubuntu

clanky
February 26th, 2010, 10:41 AM
@Andreas1
I think it would be nice for Ubuntu to become essentially an "Open Source Apple". Basically Apple minus the super closed hardware and software mentality. Now, I haven't really thought this through, so if anyone has an idea of where this could go wrong, I would like to hear it.

Where could this go wrong?

Apple sells their products for money, lots of money, they use that money for research and development, lots of research and development.

Canononiacl get a few pennies for support and give half of it to a bunch of coders locked in a basement, open source apple just ain't going to happen.

cprofitt
February 26th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Where could this go wrong?

Apple sells their products for money, lots of money, they use that money for research and development, lots of research and development.

Canononiacl get a few pennies for support and give half of it to a bunch of coders locked in a basement, open source apple just ain't going to happen.

Apple does so much research and development in the area of computers that they no longer use standard Intel processors, standard Nvidia graphics cards or standard qwerty keyboards.

Okay, so what about research and development costs? In fiscal 2008, Microsoft spent $8.2 billion, or 14 percent of its revenue. Apple, meanwhile, spent $782 million, or just 3 percent of its net sales. (http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/daily-brief/2008/10/20/apple-mccains-microsoft-in-new-ad/)

Another good link: here (http://www.thestreet.com/story/10273658/2/apple-frugal-to-a-fault.html)

Simian Man
February 26th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Canonical really doesn't behave like an open source company - I guess because they really aren't one. What's with all of these backroom decisions and secrecy? Open Source should be developed transparently IMHO.

popey
February 26th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Canonical really doesn't behave like an open source company - I guess because they really aren't one. What's with all of these backroom decisions and secrecy? Open Source should be developed transparently IMHO.

..and I guess you know the inner workings of Red Hat and Novell?

They never keep things under wraps?

From my experience Canonical go to extraordinary lengths to consider the community in pretty much everything they do. Whilst they mess up now and then, I don't see anything to be worried about. If I did, I'd say so.

Groucho Marxist
February 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM
This way of keeping secrets, then making announcements, reminds me of a very successful company from california.

I think that California company's busy right now showing its latest creation to the world.

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4719/lookwhaticando.jpg

Glenn nl
February 26th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I know the announcement.
Wasn“t Jane Silber becoming the new CEO at march 1? :KS
Its 26 Feb now..

Simian Man
February 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM
..and I guess you know the inner workings of Red Hat and Novell?

They never keep things under wraps?

I can't speak for every distribution out there, but Red Hat is very transparent with the development of Fedora. Their wiki shows all of the new features being developed along with the current progress, the artwork and themes being worked on, and so on. Also it is more egalitarian in that there is a vote among members for the codename and for the artwork - and anyone can submit candidates.

Also, you can grab what they're working on at any point. Can you, for example, download the current work in progress of the music store?

FuturePilot
February 26th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Also, you can grab what they're working on at any point. Can you, for example, download the current work in progress of the music store?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/rhythmbox-ubuntuone-music-store

Simian Man
February 26th, 2010, 04:10 PM
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/rhythmbox-ubuntuone-music-store

Well I stand corrected :). If you can get it now, why's everyone making a big fuss about "is it ready yet"?? I guess it may be dangerous to try a beta program that could potentially charge you money :).

mickie.kext
February 26th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Hype is hype, marketing is marketing and people are people. Openness of the code does not change that;).

Excedio
February 26th, 2010, 04:40 PM
A friend of mine just sent me this link. I wonder if this might be it...

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2010/02/task-pooper-could-revolutionize-gnome-desktop.ars

popey
February 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Well I stand corrected :). If you can get it now, why's everyone making a big fuss about "is it ready yet"?? I guess it may be dangerous to try a beta program that could potentially charge you money :).

Because when many people test something that's not working, the developers get deluged with "It's broken" and blogs get flooded with "It's rubbish".

Right now (as a beta tester of U1 music store) it's neither rubbish nor broken. It's just not ready :)

scottuss
February 27th, 2010, 09:24 PM

HAHA fantastic! :D

All joking aside, the thing is, if Canonical did launch an Ubuntu powered tablet, I'd buy 2... no 3 of them.

RabbitWho
February 27th, 2010, 09:42 PM

I agree! Let's not go with blue. Everyone is blue. Everyone loves blue, we can make things blue after, but the default should be special.

Yes, let's ignore business sense, marketing and the chance to get publicity and make money for no reason whatsoever.

EnigmaticCoder
March 7th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Was this announcement ever made?

Tibuda
March 7th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Was this announcement ever made?

yes (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1420839). a bit late, but it was made.