PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Error Code (1)

JKH Designs
February 24th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Hello,

I have been trying to get Kubuntu desktop to install. I have a newly installed base system running 8.04 server with no other OS on the HD. I then run sudo apt-get update and then run sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop. This runs for a while and I end up with errors occured while processing. I then have a message to try sudo apt-get -f install this runs and now I have an error
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/debtags_1.7.3ubuntu4-i386.deb unpack
short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during './usr/bin/debtags')
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/debtags_1.7.3ubuntu4_i386.deb
E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned and error code (1)
Then it goes back to the command prompt. I have tried rebooting the CD and rescueing system with no luck.

Someone help please.

Thanks in advance.

James

1/0
February 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Have you tried:

sudo dpkg -i --force-all /var/cache/apt/archives/debtags_1.7.3ubuntu4-i386.deb

followed by:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Possibly also:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

JKH Designs
February 25th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hello 1/0

Thanks for the response. No, I haven't tried those commands thanks for taking the time to send them. Since my post I have found out that I have some sort of hardware conflict going on, first thought it was the HD kept getting squash fs errors found out that that also could be coming from the DVD/CD drive. In this case it was coming from the DVD drive but I still had the error (1) problem. I took the HD I was trying to install the OS on and installed it in a completly different system. The 8.04 server base installed and the Kubuntu-desktop as well. After getting to the Kubuntu desktop I ran the Adept updater and now have a Could not commit changes error. It says "Possibly there was a problem downloading some packages or the commit would break packages. My question is would the first command you shared.

possibly fix this or does it have to followed by your second commmand which upgrades the distribution? I think I am going to wait until April 2010 and move to the new LTS hopefully it will be more stable and I won't have to play these guessing games. I am still a newbie at this Linux thing.

Thanks again

James

1/0
February 26th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Ah, you're right about upgrading with that command. It's difficult to say what's causing this with that "home brew" of installation. But the other two commands will not upgrade to a new version but could possibly resolve the problem. The installation is stuck at installing debtags so one option is to force the install.

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Try it and if it doesn't help, we'll have to figure out something else.