PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing ubuntu. Any suggestions ?

jazf78
February 24th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Hello

I'm installing ubuntu 9.04 on a computer that does not have a cd/dvd reader, I am using UnetBootin408 to boot up ubuntu then install, i have previously made 2 EXT3 partitions on my drive of 40g each also a swap linux partition of 10g using acronis disk director from within windows, so linux doesnt have to partition anything..

When ubuntu starts installing, i get the message that my hard drive is mounted and cannot continue, it then asks me to go back to the installation to try and dismount but i don't see anywhere on the installation any option to unmount such partition.

My NTFS WinXP partition is mounted on the /cdrom folder, How can i dismount it so i can continue with the installation?

I tried sudo umount /cdrom, it says device is busy,

i tried sudo umount -f /cdrom, it says device is busy but then whole linux fails and sends me back to terminal.

I want to keep both WinXP installation and Ubuntu.

Any help would be appreciated

This computer can't boot from a usb so that's not an option, to my knowledge unetbootin is my only option to get ubuntu on this machine since i don't want to use the install on a windows partition either because the speed would be reduced.

Thanks for reading.